Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Forget for a moment that I have a 6-Speed gearbox for sale to convert any 164 (12 or 24 valve) to 6-speed... I'm reading all of these threads and every time I see the post about transmission issues, I start yelling at my laptop!

FIX IT FOR GOOD GUYS!

I bought an auto car some years ago with a bad / slipping / won't always engage / won't shift on it's own / only shifts or slips when it's hot / cold (you name it) transmission issue! The last owner spent thousands trying to diagnose it. I went straight to a manual conversion, thereby increasing the value (especially to Alfa owners who prefer to row their own progress) and upping my own driving pleasure during my tenure with the car in the process!

Primarily, I got a dead Alfa (that was in really nice shape otherwise), back on the road!

Years later I bought another car with an auto tranny intended originally for my sister, but shortly after buying it, the stupid 4-speed went titsup on me... Shoulda known better! I recalled how much two techs at two shops had messed with the other car for months, so the choice was clear!

On the other car they messed with the valve-body and relays, they changed out the transmission computer, screwed with this and that and all I did once I bought it was put in a reasonable, known-good, used manual tranny, flywheel, new clutch and shifter with minor changes on the tunnel cover and off we went! So, when this later purchase let me down, we did the same!

All of the parts needed to do this are available as stock 164 parts. There isn't anything custom required (with the exception of the rear engine mount on the 6-speed conversion that was custom and that is now a known factor, as well as a small bracket to hold the rear of the shifter up inside the car!) On the 5-speed swap, it is all a direct bolt-on!

Yes-yes - here comes the naysayers - you need lots of parts (because you are also changing out the intermediate shaft when you convert from automatic to manual), but once you have the pieces, it's done! Just me thoughts guys - don't shoot the messenger!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
That's the way to go. Obviously 5 speed is so much easier. I heard of a guy who had 250K on his auto and when the tranny finally went he swapped in a 5 speed. He's gone another 100K so far from what I hear.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know... Perhaps I'm over-simplifying here? Once you have tried so much crazy crap, this swap seems mundane by comparison.

·
Registered
8,780 Posts
I don't own an auto, never have, but if I had a broken one and had to pay someone to do the swap, I'd probably scrap, or part the car.

·
Premium Member
26,991 Posts
Just got off the phone with Alfa bud Ken in Richmond.

He is converting a 94 24v from A/T to 5-speed. Had a time changing out pedal box but did it without pulling dash.

He has been using my 24v tools to set up his engine.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Ha. Putting in the clutch pedal assembly for the AOD to T-5 conversion in my 5.0 was the worst part too!

Bench press the steering column up with one hand while you fanagle the pedal into place that should have been put in there during a more opportune moment on the assembly line. I think doing that job today, I would need lumber in there for some leverage. Not feeling as strong these days!:wheelchair:

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That pedal box was the worst part - I did it on the Burgundy car all upside-down-twisted the crap out...:thumbdown:

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
That pedal box was the worst part - I did it on the Burgundy car all upside-down-twisted the crap out...:thumbdown:
Thats because you are the green giant....... You are not supposed to be under the dash it defies physics.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
LOL Lenard... JJ is a big chunk of volume in the whole time/space continuim...

Having been there... a 1994 164LS that had auto-tranny issues (ex-Keith Magnason car) I opted to go the 5sp manual conversion route. to my advantage... I already had a 164 24v manual parts car, and a friend to help, saving $$$ both for parts and normal labor costs.

Results? Well worth the time and effort. Since it was an 'extra' 164 (see Black Bomber) I eventually traded it for a motorcycle, but was more than pleased with how the auto - to - manual gearbox change out transpired. This is a solid upgrade for those considering such an option in my humble opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts