Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost finished with a beast of a job of engine removal to replace a cracked oil pan and a broken flex plate among a host of other deferred maintenance issues.

The engine is back in, everything is connected and it's time to replace all of the fluids. I bought a case of redline trans fluid and began filling the transmission. The problem is, I drained the torque converter before reinstalling the engine. Now that I have added the fluid, the transmission will not engage. I assume that no fluid is getting to the torque converter.

Did I screw this up utterly? Can I somehow pressurize the system to force fluid into the transmission converter? Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott in Seattle
1991 164L

·
Premium Member
27,388 Posts
I'm almost finished with a beast of a job of engine removal to replace a cracked oil pan and a broken flex plate among a host of other deferred maintenance issues.

The engine is back in, everything is connected and it's time to replace all of the fluids. I bought a case of redline trans fluid and began filling the transmission. The problem is, I drained the torque converter before reinstalling the engine. Now that I have added the fluid, the transmission will not engage. I assume that no fluid is getting to the torque converter.

Did I screw this up utterly? Can I somehow pressurize the system to force fluid into the transmission converter? Is there something obvious that I'm missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott in Seattle
1991 164L
If you drained tranny and convertor you need 2.4 gallons of fluid (9 liters). So are you there yet? 1 quart = .946L

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: RE: Auto trans

Hey Steve,

I've got 9 quarts in at the moment. It's reading far above full on the dipstick. It occurred to me that the torque converter is what essentially provides pressure to the system so, without fluid in the torque converter, there is no fluid flowing in the transmission.

Is there a trick to force ATF back into the torque converter to "prime the pump"?

Unfortunately, my knowledge of automatic transmissions is about the same as my knowledge of quantum physics - very little.

·
Premium Member
27,388 Posts
Hey Steve,

I've got 9 quarts in at the moment. It's reading far above full on the dipstick. It occurred to me that the torque converter is what essentially provides pressure to the system so, without fluid in the torque converter, there is no fluid flowing in the transmission.

Is there a trick to force ATF back into the torque converter to "prime the pump"?

Unfortunately, my knowledge of automatic transmissions is about the same as my knowledge of quantum physics - very little.
No trick as pressure pump is in tranny but driven by torque convertor. Did you get notches in end of convertor shaft engaged in pump drive gear?

You almost have to have or tranny wouldn't go onto engine all the way as convertor would stick out to far and hit flex plate early. You were able to get all three bolts into flex plate and convertor right?

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything should be aligned correctly. I drained the converter, drained all fluid, replaced the filter and all serviceable o-rings, etc. then installed the new flex plate, attached the transmission to the engine and connected the three bolts to the torque converter.

I think the assembly is correct. I fear that failing to add a quart of fluid to the torque converter is the problem.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
27,388 Posts
Everything should be aligned correctly. I drained the converter, drained all fluid, replaced the filter and all serviceable o-rings, etc. then installed the new flex plate, attached the transmission to the engine and connected the three bolts to the torque converter.

I think the assembly is correct. I fear that failing to add a quart of fluid to the torque converter is the problem.

Any ideas?
Take two asprin and sleep on it and try again tomorrow. Pump should fill convertor. I just recently installed engine and tranny with convertor empty added fluid and it worked fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts