Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let my 15 year old daughter use the 164L autimatic for her Tire Rack Street Survival Day in Reno, NV. Handled as well as the new cars and had a lot better styling. LOts of questions from others. The Beemers dads had their sons over to look at the alfa and kept trying to talk their dad into an italian car, or maybe they wanted to hit on my daughter?? It's an Italian thing.

Leans pretty good in the turns and handled well on the wet tarmack. Her instructor was always leary about the zero reading on the oil pressure gauge, when I explained its an Alfa thing. I would advise anyone with teenagers to do the Street Survival one day school, good class for handling, confidence, and an insurance rate break. She'll be driving a big Isuzu Trooper once she gets her license.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,293 Posts
Our Teen had a Real Survival Day today but her 164 did not

Our girl was saved by the grace of God, but has a fractured C7 so in neck brace probably for couple months.

Her 164 did not survive the accident. Luckily she went between two trees diagonally sliding through slush and snow in median.

Side swipped two trees first left side then right side and tore off most of rear of car including left rear wheel, brake caliper and strut, rear quarter panel, bumper, trunk floor, trunk lid, rear window.

We are not sure if she was forced off road by truck she was passing or not. She remembers passing the truck and that is all so far.

Pavement was dry even though it snowed 4 inches last night. Looks like left wheel dropped off pavement into slush and away she went.

It can happen in a heartbeat. Impact slung trunk mounted battery back across highway. Left the cells on centerline and case on right shoulder or it was hit by passing vehicle.

I was called by BF who was some ways behind her on highway and got to the scene after it happened and they were trying to get her out of the car. I went and helped pick up the pieces and try to see what might has caused accident as my wife went to the ER at hospital.

I brought her home in the truck so she wouldn't have to bend over to get in wife's low roofed Malibu. It was definitely a comfort food pizza night tonight!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
OMG Steve did this happen today? We hope it isnt too bad and she mends OK. The Daughter of course. Sounds like the 164 is toast.

It was really bad day driving here in No. Alabama. There were a lot of wrecks today. I drove the 740iL main battle tank today and never felt safe.

·
Premium Member
27,293 Posts
OMG Steve did this happen today? We hope it isnt too bad and she mends OK. The Daughter of course. Sounds like the 164 is toast.

It was really bad day driving here in No. Alabama. There were a lot of wrecks today. I drove the 740iL main battle tank today and never felt safe.
Yep about 2 pm this afternnon. She is chillin watching TV with BF.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
From the way you described the car, she has angels.

·
Premium Member
27,293 Posts
From the way you described the car, she has angels.
God and his angels guided that car between the trees there is no doubt he has plans for her and it wasn't her time to exit stage right today.

I was to shook up today to remember to take pictures with my cell phone.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Steve,

So glad to hear your daughter is (reasonably) comfortable now and will mend in a few months.

You've got an immeasurable quantity of good karma in the 164 universe - I'm sure her steed was more than proud to do its part. We don't often consider just how lucky we are - looks like you got a timely reminder.

OP/91spiderNV,

All activities that help demonstrate both the seriousness of, and the potential for beneficial control in, crucial driving situations is to be commended. It was the case, and I assume still is, that many European countries require a substantial amount of driving time (including on a skidpad) to raise the proficiency level of their first-time drivers. Good to see there is an effort to improve our youngest ones, as well.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
First, fast recovery wishes to Steve's daughter.

The "Street Survivor" concept was started by the BMW club foundation and then adopted by the SCCA foundation. Tire Rack came aboard as the title sponsor. These training sessions are being conducted at different locations around the country, and the goal for 2010 was to hold 90 different sessions Street Survival - Teaching Your Teen Driver to Survive From Behind the Wheel

Our local SCCA Region did one in Lexington a while back, and it was neat to watch the kid's attitude change as they progressed through the day (read the testimonials on the website). Being able to experience what happens to a car in an emergency situation emphasizes the need to take driving a little more seriously. The neat thing is that parents are required to attend

Let my 15 year old daughter use the 164L autimatic for her Tire Rack Street Survival Day in Reno, NV... I would advise anyone with teenagers to do the Street Survival one day school, good class for handling, confidence, and an insurance rate break. She'll be driving a big Isuzu Trooper once she gets her license.

·
Premium Member
9,811 Posts
Our girl was saved by the grace of God, but has a fractured C7 so in neck brace probably for couple months.

Her 164 did not survive the accident. Luckily she went between two trees diagonally sliding through slush and snow in median.

Side swipped two trees first left side then right side and tore off most of rear of car including left rear wheel, brake caliper and strut, rear quarter panel, bumper, trunk floor, trunk lid, rear window.

We are not sure if she was forced off road by truck she was passing or not. She remembers passing the truck and that is all so far.

Pavement was dry even though it snowed 4 inches last night. Looks like left wheel dropped off pavement into slush and away she went.

It can happen in a heartbeat. Impact slung trunk mounted battery back across highway. Left the cells on centerline and case on right shoulder or it was hit by passing vehicle.

I was called by BF who was some ways behind her on highway and got to the scene after it happened and they were trying to get her out of the car. I went and helped pick up the pieces and try to see what might has caused accident as my wife went to the ER at hospital.

I brought her home in the truck so she wouldn't have to bend over to get in wife's low roofed Malibu. It was definitely a comfort food pizza night tonight!
Hell! Glad she's fine! All I know is the 164 is a tough car! I would feel just fine putting my own daughter in one!
Hope she is better quick!
Hope your alright too. I can't imagine!! I'd be a wreck! Quick recovery!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Best wishes for your daughter and your family.
I've had two people out here in Oregon stop to tell me how the strength of their 164s saved their lives in a crash - seems that good design serves safety as well as performance.

·
Premium Member
27,293 Posts
Sara tougher than the car only because she is so lucky she did not have a frontal impact because sliding on snow and slush after leaving dry pavement surely did not slow the car down. I beat it even sped up since looking at total destruction of rear of car.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Steve, yes, best wishes for your daughter and yourself. Having an incident like this is really an eye opener, thinking it'll never happen to you or someone you know until it happens.

Street Survival actually has an excecise for this same situation when they wet down the track, get the car up to 50-60mph and do a quick "highway" avoidance and recovery. But doing the excercise amoungts cones instead of actual road condition are two different things.

What my daughter got from Street Survival is: Slow down in changing conditions, do not over compensate with steering and braking, and stay off the cell phone while driving. Like most people, saying and doing are two different things, but at least she has greater awareness of what can happen on the road, more so than what is taught in the High School driving programs.

Its always good to be able to walk away from an incident like this and I hope that your daughters health and confidence recovery quickly. All the best.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

164s are really well put together, a realization we came to after stripping Blake's LS.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Im glad she is ok. Be very careful on the snow...

My best friend drowned two months ago when he slided off the road in a 5meter deep ditch full of water around midnight. It was foggy and maybe half of inch of snow on the road... he was going around 80kph :(

You dont think about it until it happens to you...

Be careful peapole!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Sorry to heard that your daughter was in an accident.
The fact that she did not have to stay in a hospital and that she only needs to wear a c spine collar, bodes well with having a good recovery.
Best of luck to her.

·
Registered
573 Posts
**** the car, in the end it's just metal when compared to your daughter's life. I wish her a good recovery and hope this whole thing won't disturb her or you and the rest of your family.

I once tipped a tractor when I was backing it up. Of all the usual drivers, I was the one who always insisted on using the roll bar on the top position, all the others are too afraid the roll bar might knock a few overhead grapes. I've warned them more than once. If I catch anyone driving the tractor with the roll bar folded down, I'll weld it.

Safety devices are indeed great accomplishments, but one must never consider any car a "safe" car. It's only as safe as our decisions and reactions allow.

·
Premium Member
27,293 Posts
I hestitate to post pictures of the car because if the damage to rear of car had been front of the car I am not sure I would to able the be actually having real live conversations with my daughter.

We watched Disney Channel girl's TV show last night together and it was wonderful to hear her tell me about that girl played so and so's sister on a show I watched her watch 5-10 years ago.

As for tractor story, when I was about 9 or so I was pulling another tractor my dad was trying to start with a smaller tractor and, when he popped the clutch my tractor reared up but he was fast enough with his reflexes to push in clutch to set me back down.

Don't remember if it scared me or not but I know we never tried that again. I am sure it scared him.

BUT I WAS SURE SCARED TWO DAYS AGO!

·
EnjoyingSportingLuxury
14 Posts

WOW!!!
Sarah's probably not physically up for a hug just yet; but, be sure she's keenly aware of all the good karma flowing into her from plenty of souls who appreciate her good fortune (and Mom's&Dad's, too). Hey, she must have a major purpose in life that she's yet bound to fulfill. We're wishing for her a comfortable and speedy recovery - - back to like it never happened.
Ralph-n-Denise

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sincere best wishes for a speedy recovery. Stories like this remind us all of how precious life is.

·
Premium Member
27,293 Posts
Here are some pictures after the car towed to tow truck driver's compound. So he put all the rear end pieces behind it but they were a ways from the car after impact.

Luckliy for her beside not having a frontal impact the roof did not collapse until he was dragging it onto roll back truck.

I have it in the garage at home now on three wheel dollies awaiting insurance adjuster to view remains.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts