Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was able to pull the error codes on my 164 S and came up with codes 35 & 36. Does anyone know what these codes represent? I do have another air bag computer/controller but I don't want to swotch it unless that is the specific problem.

Thanks to the help from Alfa BB I was able to clear all my other codes in 1 day :)

I also need to fix the electic mirrors, they do not operate at all on 1st inspection.

car seems to run very nice.

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Alfa 91-93 164 air bag codes:

Alfa 91-93 164 air bag codes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,820 Posts
Code 36 faulty squib is explosive charge on back of air bag. I would DISCONNECT BATTERY and remove air bag from steering wheel as code 35 is open circuit so check wire connection to air bag.

DO NOT REHOOK UP BATTERY until after you check connector and rehook it up and reinstall air bag.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I also need to fix the electic mirrors, they do not operate at all on 1st inspection.
Sorry I can't help with the airbag (we don't have those) but the electric mirrors, I can confidently suggest to pop the switch out of the door and gently pry four snap-fittings free (the outer plastic shell of the switch is surprisingly flexible).

The switch flies apart into three cones, three springs, and a couple of brass rollers. Clean the lot with electrical contact cleaner or some other grease solvent. Then use either a fibreglass brush, a toothbrush (with metal polish or toothpaste!), or something like Scotchbrite (in decreasing order of preference). Pay attention also to the brass rollers that select which side to adjust.

It is fiddly to hold the cones to clean them, but it can be done. They are silver-plated brass, but I don't think it really matters if you go through the silver. Balance the springs in the switch top, place the cones in the switch base, and reassemble carefully... I find there is no need to replace the original grease, but you could try Vaseline (as used on battery terminals) if you like. The silver-plating and the grease should have extended the life of the switch, and it may have done up to a point, but that point is probably now reached.

I have done this on three 164s now with perfect success (mirrors not working at all or working in one direction only, but working 100% after switch-cleaning).

Cheers,
-Alex

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Jim,
If you need the airbag package in steering wheel I saved the one out of the 164S I parted. If you like, you are welcome to try it and see if it solves your airbag codes.
Jes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts