Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Have bought an OBD1 to OBD2 connector and and ELM237 bluetooth OBD2 reader and was planning to plug it all in but, even with the ECU exposed, where oh where is the OBD1 connector to be found? Have labelled the attached picture one to four. Could anyone who has found this please let me know in which direction to look?

Thank you.

(1995 164 3.0 24v)

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
In between 1 & 3. Actually, just follow the wire harness from the ECU upwards and you should find the 3-pin OBD1 connector not far away.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Would like to know how your obd1 to obd2 Bluetooth set-up worked out, once tested.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Aren't you on the wrong side? Photo below is from Q4 LHD but location of T1 should be the same on your car.
I have so. But he has a steering wheel in the "glove box". Probably will be at the right foot of the passenger.
I did not succeed in this.
I use this, it takes almost all cars.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.
The ECU is on the right side of the passenger footwell (RHD UK spec car) so seems logical the OBD1 connector would be too. However, we are talking Alfa so could well be on the left hand side of the driver's footwell. Carpet section on drivers side is a dog to get off, even after the footrest is removed - pedals and steering column all working together to keep it there. Will persevere...

Regarding the ELM 237 Bluetooth adapter, it turned out to be faulty so have ordered a VAG KKL USB OBD2 cable for the OBD1 adapter instead. Made sure it has drivers for windows 10 as a lot of them have nothing higher than windows 7 or even XP. Have also downloaded the free PC version of multiecuscan and android version of AlfaOBD. Aiming to try it all over the weekend, to get readings prior to the AFM rebuild.

Will post results when I have them. Cheers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
As mentioned somewhere in an other thread here, a generic ELM adaptor does not work in the 164 because the generics do not talk KW71 protocol.
A good choice is OBDKey (UK manufactured) plus MES or AlfaOBD.
KKL USB interfaces work well with MES, AlfaOBD and KWP71Diag, but on ML4.1 MES and AlfaOBD loose connection after some 30s and have to be connected again.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hi,
Finally found what I think is an OBD connector - Alfa 164 24v 3.0 1996. Does anyone know if this is for the ABS or the engine ECU though?
Thanks.
PS. Both the AlfaOBD and Multiecuscan OBD software offers two Bosch Motronic M1.7 injection choices: one is labelled 3.0 V6, the other 3.0 V6 E.Key. Anyone know the difference? Could one be for the automatic maybe?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
(To your first question) Well, Fiat connector with blue-white, red-white, black could be either, HOWEVER, ABS (T3) is located in engine compartment in front of air filter. ECU (T1) should be in middle of car on top of tunnel. So where, finally, did you find the bugger, on left side or right side of tunnel?. Your picture suggests right.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
(To your first question) Well, Fiat connector with blue-white, red-white, black could be either, HOWEVER, ABS (T3) is located in engine compartment in front of air filter. ECU (T1) should be in middle of car on top of tunnel. So where, finally, did you find the bugger, on left side or right side of tunnel?. Your picture suggests right.
Thanks.
Finally found it on right side of tunnel, just behind carpet. Have the radio out at the moment and sunlight coming in from the left side - carpet already removed that side - lit a little connector buried deep down that looked promising. Had right tunnel carpet loose enough to pull it down a little and squeeze fingers behind. Yay :)

Set-up about to try is a 3-pin OBD1 to OBD2 cable, mated to an OBD2 KKL to USB connector. Software, cable drivers aside, is AlfaOBD and Multiecuscan; both free versions to begin with.

Final hold up remains which software setting to use: the one for Alfa 164 24v 3.0 V6 or Alfa 164 24v 3.0 V6 E.Key? The car is a standard UK spec 1996 164 Super 24v 3.0 manual.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Success!

Using the radio power cable for the 12v feed to the OBD1 connector, the KKL OBD2 to USB connector talked fine to my Windows 7 laptop. Both Multiecuscan and AlfaOBD connected fine using the Alfa 164 V6 3.0 (24V) E.Key setting. Tried it without the E.Key version first and Multiecuscan reported it detected it was an E.Key version. A quick restart with the E.Key version got everything playing ball.

Two issues though:
1) response time can be an issue so tomorrow going to try again with the laptop set to high-performance mode.
2) get lots of interesting numbers and readouts but what to compare them to? This was compunded by using the free versions and in multiecuscan you are limited to just 4 readouts at a time.

Question: There are three readouts for the lambda probe. One of them is for the loop: open or closed. At idle it reads closed, a bit of throttle changes this to open. Does this mean the lambda probe does nothing at idle or do I have some kind of fault?

Final point: the amber 'code' indicator lit on the dash while it was connected - vanished again when restarting after cable removal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts