Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! 164 24V 3.0V6 1994 Super. Does anyone know how to test/identify at home what the exact fault is when the ABS warning light stays on, for example, how to determine which wheel sensor is at fault, or if the ABS ECU has failed, etc??? I can't see anything in the workshop manuals I have here either under braking, ABS or electrics. All the best,D

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Do you have shop manual if so see page 8 of 1994 wiring manual. If not get CarDisc International Ltd. - Home Page 94-95 164 CD.

Real way to check ABS is with Marelli Tester and ABS cartridge but according to page 9 you can pull fault codes by grounding pin C (light blue-white wire) of diagnostic connecter T8 and read flashing codes with amber ABS light much like reading codes on CEL for engine. Page 9 lists fault codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! Many thanks! I have it here now and I'll let you know how it plays out.

All the best!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there. OK, ran the check ( it's pin A incidentally, but no stress :) ) and got a code 35 which is the pump motor / pump motor relay. Got the cover off the electronic control unit on top of the scavenge pump only to find that both relays are "built onto" the control unit and they will not come out. Has anyone else seen one like this or am I being silly? All I succeeded in doing was breaking one of the relays internals after the cover popped off!

I have sourced a used replacement complete ABS control unit on another 24V not far from here so I'll go and remove that from the donor car tomorrow and make the swap over hopefully at the weekend. I checked the unit on the donor car today and it has removeable relays and there are no leaks from the pump, so we should be set by Monday... all going well...:rolleyes:

Will keep you posted and if anyone has any idea WHY I can't get the relays off please intervene! :D

All the best!
Duncan.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The relays on mine and the extra one I have from another Q4 are also "built onto" the unit. I guess this is for stability of the system...? I hope the replacement unit fixes your problems :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi Allan. You're probably right. I looked on my own Cloverleaf 24V and the relays don't come off. I checked the Alfa ePER system and found the following for the 2 cars involved here:

24V Cloverleaf: ABS Pump and ECU unit part number : 5895520; Compatability M1 ,M2 ,M3 ,M4 ,M5 ,M8 ,M9. Relay part number : 9950678. ECU part number : 9947456.

24V Super: ABS Pump and ECU unit part number: 60568235 or 46405397; Compatability M1 ,M2 ,M3 ,M4 ,M5 ,M6 ,M7. Relay part number : 9950678. ECU part number : 9947456.

So the electrical bits are the same (in terms of Alfa part numbers) but the pump assembly number is different, however since both cars involved are M4 and the pumps are M4 compatible I imagine that a swap should be possible. The interesting thing is that all 3 complete pump units have the same Bosch part number on them despite the fact that the ECU parts (in terms of "fixed" or "removable" relays) are different... I guess that should convince me that a swap is allowed!

I'll set about the task tomorrow and aim to be done for the weekend, weather permitting....

All the best!
Duncan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts