Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This describes how to remove the instrument cluster and center vent on a 1991-93 164B/L/S. A downloadable PDF of this is at the bottom of this post.

The instrument cluster and hood are very easy and quick to remove (about 5 minutes). There are only six screws to remove and the cluster lifts off the dashboard. Behind the dashboard is a set of relays for the radio, power windows, sunroof, and high beam headlight relay . . . depending on if it’s an “S” version or “B/L” version. For detailed info on relays, see the Mechanical Service Manual, page 40-8.

1. Make sure key is off and out of the ignition. Drop the main fuse box access panel.

2. Remove the two facia inserts. With a dental pick or paperclip bent for the purpose, pry out the facia inserts. Be careful to pull straight out since there are fragile long posts attached to the back of the strips. In the picture here, you will see that those posts are broken off. Regardless, the strips are still held in place by friction fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
3. Remove the lower facia/button panel by removing the four screws as indicated in the picture. Using two hands, Flex the middle portion upwards to allow the panel to flex up in the middle and clear the hood’s soft covering at the sides. May make a snap as It pulls away. Disconnect the wires from the switches and remove the panel completely. You can either unhook the facia from the switch wires, or just let it hang. If you disconnect, note which connector goes to the trip-odometer reset button and which to the warning light test button. They're the same type of connector.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4. This will expose two large Phillips head screws that hold the cluster in place. Remove those screws. The cluster will now feel loose, however, there are still two keyed attachment points behind the cluster. See picture below. Lift slightly on the far side of the cluster and lift away from the rest of the dashboard.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5. With it pulled away slightly from the instrument panel, disconnect the four wire connectors to the instrument cluster. Note that you will need to pull back on the retainers to pull the connectors away from the main body of the cluster.

6. Remove the instrument cluster completely while threading the loose lower facia wires though the opening in the instrument cluster frame.

7. DO NOT turn the ignition key on while the Instrument Cluster is disconnected from its four wiring connectors. This will trigger a fault in the Airbag ECU and cause the AIRBAG warning light to stay on. To clear it, you must run the Airbag diagnostics and code clearing procedure.

8. Installation is the reverse of removal.

If removal of the center vent is desired, here are the fastening points. The glove box release button in the center vent frame is not physically attached to the internal mechanism, so it presents no problems to removal/replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
Thanks John, I've probably done this about four times yet every time I end up scratching my head trying to remember Where the...? What the...? Why the...? :whistling:

One thing I don't see mentioned, that is not directly related, is that little connector from hell on the left side of the lower valance panel, the one that goes to lights dimmer maybe? I swear you need three flat jewelers screwdrivers and a third hand to get that little bugger off there if you want to get the whole thing out of your way!

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
In my best Gomer voice "Thank You, Thank You, Thank You." I've been putting off replacing my dash bulbs for this task alone. Your tutorial is the motivation I needed. On the flip side, no stores are open tomorrow so I can't buy bulbs so I'm safe for a few days more!! ciao chris

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Can you access the steppers this way?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
"Can you access the steppers this way?"

Only one. Once the center vent is removed you can service the heat valve stepper quite easily (not the air distribution stepper). Search the forum "Heat Valve Stepper (HVS) R/R".

·
Registered
2 Posts
4. This will expose two large Phillips head screws that hold the cluster in place. Remove those screws. The cluster will now feel loose, however, there are still two keyed attachment points behind the cluster. See picture below. Lift slightly on the far side of the cluster and lift away from the rest of the dashboard.
I need to take the leather Hood off thats over the instrument cluster of the dash board to repair it. Once the instrument cluster is out, is this easy to do???

Thx

Adam

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes, once the cluster is out, you'll see two screws at the top back of the cluster that need to be removed. The two bottom screws should already be out in order to remove the cluster from the dash.

If you find that a repair is not feasible, I have a "S" hood (with red stitching) that I recovered a while back in a good quality vinyl that looks virtually the same as the leather, plus will won't shrink like the leather does. I'd sell it for $100. Pictures here if you're interested:
https://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-parts-sale-wanted/413793-164s-instrument-hood.html

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
And don't ever, never, ever turn the ignition switch with the panel removed or you will bugger the air-bag sensor and that light will stay on forever and ever. i did read on a method of switching it off, somewhere in this forum, but don't believe it covers all models.

·
Registered
896 Posts
And don't ever, never, ever turn the ignition switch with the panel removed or you will bugger the air-bag sensor and that light will stay on forever and ever......
...or until you borrow an OBDI FLT System from a very helpful friend and go through the steps of clearing it...
0:)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thank you Gents!! Replacing the entire HVAC & Radio frame to result in a working radio door...

·
Premium Member
1964 Giulia Spider Normale, 1991 164S 5-speed
63 Posts
I repaired a broken center vent vane over the weekend and I found a few details were missing in the instructions. I managed to get the vent unit out as per the instructions, but then found I couldn't get it back in (45 mins of trying). I wasn't aware that the upper center console top screw tabs are positioned on top (to the rear of the car) of the vent unit lower screw tabs. I was very lucky to not have broken the vent forcing it out. :eek:

So, some additional steps (1991 S)
1) slide the lower center console back (2 screw behind rear ashtray)
2) loosen the 6 screws holding the upper center console
3) You don't need to completely remove the center console and getting the radio out is a PITA, so you can pull it away from the dash just enough to get the center vent back in (or out)

I love me some pictures so...
PXL_20210403_192306098.MP~2.jpg PXL_20210403_193948659.jpg PXL_20210403_224519376.jpg PXL_20210404_220153331.jpg PXL_20210404_220155928.jpg PXL_20210404_220154856.jpg PXL_20210404_235625866.jpg

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
You used the wrong tutoria!. Mine clearly mentions the upper prongs.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
You used the wrong tutoria!. Mine clearly mentions the upper prongs.
This thread is what came up in search. I got lucky and was patient so all's well.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
While you were in there were you able to replace the center vent seals? Closed cell styrofoam, the white variety, c. 1/8" thick, works really well.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
While you were in there were you able to replace the center vent seals? Closed cell styrofoam, the white variety, c. 1/8" thick, works really well.
Oops. Nope. The foam was still good, but it didn't occur to me to replace it. I don't doubt I'll be in there again. It's not the worst job. Just takes some patience and concentration. It also helps not to do it in on an incline in a black car on a warm day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts