Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Loking to dip a 1963 Guilia Spider that has surface rust from being sanblasted years ago and then the owner passing away. I now have the car and want to start to restore the body. No holes, just some early metal work done, new rails and the car is solid. Now to get the rust off, remove the transmission and engine, rebuild the engine, and restore the body. Anyone up for a fun job. Located in Boston, MA

Registered
You should drop that off in Cape Cod and see if someone who loves a challenge picks it up. 馃

Registered
Plenty of advice here.. seldom taken...when you can, post your zip code .. and we'll start the process. I'm the one he referred to tangled up in lobster traps been down this road.. Marstons Mills BTW starting from ball 3 before you take your base .. Alfa never made a Giulia Spider Veloce in 1963.. boo hoo... that s a $ $30-40000 whack up side the wallet. Some dreams are wet .. some dreams are dry.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Plenty of advice here.. seldom taken...when you can, post your zip code .. and we'll start the process. I'm the one he referred to tangled up in lobster traps been down this road.. Marstons Mills BTW starting from ball 3 before you take your base .. Alfa never made a Giulia Spider Veloce in 1963.. boo hoo... that s a $ $30-40000 whack up side the wallet. Some dreams are wet .. some dreams are dry.
It might be a 1964.
1600 veloce

Registered
This is going to be fun...I really meant in jest to just leave it in a lost & found by the slow ferry to avoid years of tears of 鈥渓iving the dream鈥, mostly dry. Uncle will set you in the right direction, but you absolutely must listen. The whack in the wallet is the worst part. The rest is a great education.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
This is going to be fun...I really meant in jest to just leave it in a lost & found by the slow ferry to avoid years of tears of 鈥渓iving the dream鈥, mostly dry. Uncle will set you in the right direction, but you absolutely must listen. The whack in the wallet is the worst part. The rest is a great education.
I'm a car guy so I know what it needs. I was going to have a place in Waltham rebuild the engine and have someone else do the body and my transmission guy said it is in perfect shape, just needs lube. I am in no hurry and am a Boston Marathon Survivor so this would be a work of love.

Registered
If you have all of the parts it sounds like you have a plan. It was hard to tell from your first post if you were offering it up, or seeking a restoration shop. I鈥檓 just finishing mine. It was a marathon at times, but nothing like what you鈥檝e been through, sir. Welcome.
17B7FD95-52DD-4C5C-AC48-5CEB38002AFB.jpeg

Registered
Accel is great .. your car isn't. It's a born again Normale with a 105 engine and Weber carbs.. jettison it before the next marathon I got the pics that tell the rest of the story . What did I say about having sex on a sandy beach? Not advisable.. done that. Some things are never forgotten. Not as good as a swimming pool.

Registered
I hate to burst balloons but I would save my frequent flyer miles to Italy for a Grand Canal gondola ride.. Cruelty is often mistaken for honesty.... errr or is the obverse? .. whatever...Uncle

Premium Member
If it鈥檚 101.18 . . . You should be good, if not 101.18 . . .not so good.

Registered
Contact me (alfadoctor at Yahoo) and I will see if it is listed in the Giulia Spider Veloce register. This is a USA version as there are no front fender turn signals. You are the owner of a rare car as we only know of about <400 of the original 1091. I would love to know more about this car.

Registered
It's fitting it is Holy Week and Thomas's are among us. I saw some MB photos ( but scanned this one one for downloading out of a zip file). It shows a 10123 spider 1600 Typo plate on the firewall. The case for a Giulia Spider Veloce seems a mute point with that evidence from the get-go.
003.jpg

Attachments

Premium Member
Stewart, et al;

Though I haven't seen it, your car's AR# should end all speculation regarding type and year of build and perhaps lead to the correct ranges of numbers for what would have been the original engine for your car.

The truth is Uncle is something of a national treasure, Irish-or-not, but your 10123 Giulia Spider is not. The rarer Veloce Spiders get heaps of love and respect here, but the Normales and Abnormales get the Rodney Dangerfield treatment, from time-to-time. Humor intended, there... But many of us own and love them, myself included :)

I bought a mostly-disassembled basket case disc-brake equipped, '64 Giulia Spider almost 7 years ago that came with crates, boxes and bags of parts of all sizes. After buying the car, transporting it to tropical Tulsa (more humor), body & paint work, I was $35,000 in before a wrench was turned. Absoluetly, no regrets as the car is gorgeous.

Just before I bought the Spider, I discovered the BB and found that the folks here are a fantastic resource for everything pertaining to these wonderful automobiles providing how-to, where-to,and what-not-to advice that has proved to be invaluable. A host of BBers are good for lots of entertainment, as well 馃槃

In-the-end, it comes down to this; if you have considered fully the task before you and to you the price of admission is worth it, then go for it. Please provide copious amounts of photos of the journey as we all love them and learn from them.

Here's wishing a wonderful Easter on all your dear Alfisti.

Ray

Reactions: AlfaBear
1 - 20 of 20 Posts