Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need left and right side 1600 GTV wheel hub units. Must be known that they are straight and not from a car with serious front end damage.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have one NOS waxed (cant say now which side) , still with the alfa cover on the spindle, but as far as I can recall it is for 2000 gtv-spider , guess this is bigger than for the 1600?

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To the best of my knowledge the front suspensions on GTV/Spiders was a different design starting with the 1750's.

To clarify what I need are the uprights with the stub axles.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I think I have what your looking for, I'll just double check though. I'll get back to you in a couple of days. Pete.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pete, have you had a chance to check out whether you have a pair or not? I'd like to get them installed before the bodywork is too far along since I believe the problems are a combination of bent hubs/stub axles and the mounting areas for the suspension are not up to spec.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Sorry this took so long, just sooo busy with work. Unfortunately I do not have an extra set of spindles, I for got I traded them for a set of Junior spindles. Give APE a try. Good luck, Peter.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Spindles

I have the front suspension from a '65 TI (low mileage, perfect condition.) Set up for Dunlop brakes. You didn't mention if it was for Ate or Dunlop. I'll be pulling them off the car this week.

Stu

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stu, I'm surprised the TI isn't being restored since they are quite valuable.

I'm in the process of purchasing a set of uprights/hubs from another fellow. I did not ask him about this, but it is conceivable that I might need complete front suspensions. The '66 GTV sustained some pretty major front end damage, primarily under the car - which affected the subframe. The car has been straightened, but the right suspension is definitely out of whack as in the bottom of the wheel is splayed out. The damage was mostly on the right (passenger) side but the hub is definitely bent on the left side. I installed a new cast wheel on it and it wobbled when spun. I installed the same wheel on a '69 Spider in my shop and it ran true.

My problem is that I won't have access to the suspension until the bodywork is completed - but my fear is that I end up with a (client's) car which can't be aligned. If I completely replace the front suspensions I'll eliminate that factor, but at what cost?

I'll add that it might be possible that the suspensions are slightly 'tweaked', not noticeably, but enough that they need to be replaced to align the front correctly.

My plan is to retain the Dunlop brakes - front and back, but might have to shim the wheels out somewhat.

We can continue this discussion here, but if you'd like to 'talk' directly, email me at [email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts