Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 1976 1600GTJ and I need to flush the coolant. I have never done it before on any car.

Can somebody (correctly) assume I'm an idiot and give me step by step instructions?

There is no expansion tank and I don't have a clue where drain plugs are etc.

Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
The drain plug is a brass bolt on the bottom center of the radiator, usually accessable through a hole in the radiator crossmember. You'll need the correct socket with an extension. Remove the radiator cap for a smoother flow and have a big (at least 3 gal.) tub underneath. Use distilled water with the antifreeze when replacing.

Bill

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Seems easy!

So I don't have to drain coolant from the engine block or follow specific steps to stop air locks etc etc

I've heard all kinds of things about using Flush Fluids and hoses etc.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Prestone used to sell a t-fitting that spliced into the heater hose and allowed you to attach a garden hose to pressure flush the system. That might still be available and would come with instructions. Early 1600 engines had a drain petcock on the block but I don't think your '76 would have one. There should be a bolt on the intake manifold near the thermostat that you can crack open to bleed the air when you refill the system. It probably wouldn't hurt to open it to assist in draining as well. I'm usually content to drain the system rather than power flush. I haven't seen the kind of sludge and flaking in Alfa engines like you see in iron blocks. What I have seen is pitting of the aluminum from not changing the antifreeze and calcium deposits from not using distilled water. I've been guilty in the past but I now use distilled water unless it's an overheating emergency. My experience is based on opening up about 8 engines so someone with more experience may have seen otherwise. If you've had a head leak that got oil in the coolant then a power flush is probably needed. You might also want to try a search on this website as I'm sure it's already been described with better details than I'm giving. Good luck.

Bill

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well funny you should mention it but I found a small milky deposit in the rad cap the other day. I can't see anything in the dipstick or oil cap.

I'm not 100% sure of the cars history so I'm going to flush the rad and see how long it takes to happen again, if at all.

thanks for the update, seems like it's something I can just about manage!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was told by an Alfa mechanic that what they do to "clean" a coolant system is to drain and refill with water and a very healthy dose of dishwashing liquid. Then drain and refill with the prescribed distilled water and antifreeze ( I use the old fashion green stuff).
I've done it, actually have run the car pretty hard for a week with it and drained and found it to be pretty effective in clearing the residual oil from an earlier oil/coolant issue.
FWIW-

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when you put baking soda/or dishwashing liquid into a car... how long to you have to leave it circulate for..... until it gets up to temp or much much less?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts