Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys-
Any advice on clutch brands for my 1600 duetto? IAP sells Sachs it looks like Vicks and Centerline are selling something else. The prices are about the same but any experiences on the different brands? thanks all

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
guys-
Any advice on clutch brands for my 1600 duetto? IAP sells Sachs it looks like Vicks and Centerline are selling something else. The prices are about the same but any experiences on the different brands? thanks all
Sachs (F&S) was the OEM supplier of clutches for Alfa, so it would be a good choice. "Other" suppliers would be caveat emptor, IMO. And from personal experience, I would replace the full set (driven plate, pressure plate and throwout bearing) rather than just one part. I learned the hard way that dimensions can change between the old and current designs, which can lead to problems with freeplay / engagement point when mixing and matching old components and new. Especially regarding the throwout bearing. Replacing all three gives you a better shot at proper operation of the clutch.
Jim

·
Registered
657 Posts
I got my parts from Centerline and IAP. The clutch was Sachs, so I must have ordered it from IAP.

I also replaced disc, pressure plate and throw-out bearing and had the flywheel resurfaced. Also, buy a new pilot bushing and rent a tool at Autozone to remove the old one. Of course, new lock tabs, etc., are needed for the flywheel bolts.

I did my repair first with the motor in place and just took the trans out. Then, I thought I had made a mistake (and since I needed to replace other seals and gaskets), so I took the engine/trans out as a unit. Having done this repair both ways within three weeks of each other, I recommend taking the motor and trans out as a unit. It sounds worse than just taking the box out, but it isn't hard to get one of these units out of the car.

Last time I checked, Pep Boys has a crane on sale for $129. It is worth it.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts