Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question - is a 1600 (Giulia SS or Sprint GT) water pump able to fit on a 1750 engine? I've been hunting for a NOS 1750 water pump for ages but I've almost given up the chase - and today I found a NOS 1600 item and it made me wonder if it would fit. Anyone?

Cheers,

Alex.

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
1600 water pumps

Alex,
The short answer is yes. There were "different flavors" of 1600 pumps dependent on application and vintage. The stud for the alternator, may (I don't remember) differ, but on these older pumps, some things can be changed to fit your application. BTW, Christian Ondrak, OK parts, has the kit rebuild the old, original 1600 pumps. I have the factory tool, and have done quite a few for applications where originality is important. The after market pumps are also very good, and it is easier (probably cheaper too) to use one from Centerline, than rebuild an original, if the application does not need the vintage unit. I have a lightly used after market pump waiting for an application if you are interested. (send me a PM.) :DGordon Raymond

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Gordon,

I've got an aftermarket 1750 water pump already, that I bought for my engine rebuild project only about 4 years ago :rolleyes: but, like oil pumps, I've heard one or two cautionary tales about repro units.

This is a photo of the pump in question - part # is described as 10526 07 024 00. I'm 30 miles away from my parts collection so I cannot make a direct comparison. First thing to check, of course, is that the pump should line up with all the studs in the 1750 block - hence my call to the Brain Trust! What are the other differences?

Alex.

p.s. thanks for the tip about Christian Ondrak. He's the guy I bought my NOS 1750 head from. He must think that I'd have built this engine up by now! :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
Hi Alex,
The pump you have pictured is identical to those we get here in the U.S. They seem to work fine. I have never seen a structural failure (unlike the oil pumps!). I have a friend with an Alfa shop. This is the pump he sells. His feeling is that for the $70 U.S. he pays, they are a good deal for the customer. It features a bleeder screw that the OEM unit does not. You will find it fits the front cover studs with no problems. Some object to the cast heater outlet as compared to the steel screw in one on the old pump, but it really makes no difference. The pictured pump is also identical to the lightly used one in my shop. That car owner replaced the OEM pump, on his 1600 spider, and then, the next year opted for a complete engine rebuild, with ANOTHER new pump. I could not see throwing the first after market pump in the rubbish, after less than 2000 miles! I do not think you will have any problems with your pump. You might send an E-Mail to Christian to see if he agrees. I am sure he will. In short, you will be fine! Best, Gordon Raymond

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your valuable input on this, Gordon, and for your reassurance that not only that it will fit, but that an OEM water pump is just as good as an original NOS item. Pattern parts can be inferior to original parts, so you understand my caution!

I wasn't aware of the differences in the manufacture of the heater outlet, so it could be that this offer (from an eBay store) is akin to what would be called a 'marriage' in the antique furniture trade: an old box, but more recent contents inside ... :rolleyes:

Thanks again,

Alex.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Two water pump infobits;

Generator and alternator equipped vehicles use different water pumps.
Vehicles with screw in thermostats and Euro 1750s have water pumps with two ports; drop in t/stat cars and US version 1750s use three port pumps.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
So, as long as water pump wisdom is being dispensed...

Say I was trying to build a 2L to look semi-original in a 1600 application - dipped cam cover, 1600 style manifold w/ screw in thermostat, generator instead of alternator, etc. Could I use a 2 port 1600 style water pump on said 2L?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
I have a water pump rebuilder here in Toronto that happily takes my used pump, cleans it, by blasting, and puts in a new bearing and seal. Used him for years. He would probably go along with not blasting a pre-cleaned pump.

Therefore orginality can be maintained if that is the desire. I expect such rebuilders are spread around the globe.

I have lots of cores if there is any interest.

Ciao

Ken

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
Water pump I.D.

Alex,
Let me try again:rolleyes:. ALL the pumps I have are 101 and 105. 1600's Papajam is , as always correct. He IS the "PARTS MASTER":cool:. If we refer to after market pumps, you will see Centerline has a WP502, WP512, and WP513. All different. The 502, is the one hanging in my shop, the 512 is 1750, 2000, 69-74, Spider through 89. The 513 is Spider 90-94. If you will use one of these {512} in my catalog it's an $86 part.
It would be wise to phone them, or E-Mail and get a positive I.D. on the pump you have.
In the early 70's, I built a CHEATER 1600 that was a disguised 1750 Veloce, 40DCOE Weber engine, complete with 1600 Veloce pan, and, as I remember it, water pump, as it ran a Bosch generator. {I DID NOT USE STEROIDS!:p) Clearly, a while ago, I no longer remember the particulars of the water pump, but the currently available after market water pumps were not available then, so with budget race cars, it was a question of "Let's see what FITS";).
Your OEM Alfa box does not go with the after market pump, at least here in the U.S. Does this help, or add more confusion?:confused: :DGordon Raymond

·
Richard Jemison
7,925 Posts
Water pumps

Say I was trying to build a 2L to look semi-original in a 1600 application - dipped cam cover, 1600 style manifold w/ screw in thermostat, generator instead of alternator, etc. Could I use a 2 port 1600 style water pump on said 2L?
Jason:
Yes it will fit, however you will need an early secondary shaft that is made with the screw drive tip to run the tachometer drive.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jason:
Yes it will fit, however you will need an early secondary shaft that is made with the screw drive tip to run the tachometer drive.
Maybe I'm tired, but would you mind explaining that a little clearer? This could be relevant for the 1750 transplant into my Sprint GT ...

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,240 Posts
Tachometer drives

Just wait a minute Alex and Papajam will post a great picture. If he does not, send him a PM. The earlier cars drove a mechanical tach with a spiral drive gear on the end of the timing chain reduction sprocket, under the front cover. Later cars used electronic tach's. If you use a water pump for the mechanical drive, you will need the correct timing chain reduction sprocket, and front cover. Clear as mud? :DGordon Raymond

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Thanks, Richard. This (ahem... theoretically...) is an early 2L out of a '74, so it already has the correct bits for a mechanical tach. I'm starting to get the itch to dig through some of my boxes of 1600 parts and see what I have...

-Jason

1 - 13 of 13 Posts