Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1600 motor is a bit tired, needing a rebuild. I've got a spare running 1750 and was thinking of swapping temporarily until I can get the 1600 done.
Has anyone gone through the exercise of having this done legally in terms of having the work certified? If so what were the costs involved. Is it a major?
Would I be better off putting the money towards the rebuild?
Thanks,
Cheers,

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Richard just fit it in -nobody unless they really really know Alfas would be able to tell. My Giulia Ti has a 1750 in it and unless you knew Ti`s came with one twin choke down draft carb not the twin side drafts the 1750 has no-one can tell. It`s been like this for years as far as I`m aware. Yours is a Super so has Twin side drafts from the factory so you have nothing to worry about.
Strictly speaking you should tell your insurance co. but as said above who`s to know.

Richard J
`65 Giulia Ti 1600(1750), `69 GT 1300 Junior(1600), `74 GTV 2000, `76 Alfetta GTV, `77 Alfetta GTV, `84 GTV6

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi Guys,
I second alfavirusnz. The VNZ would never know. It is not like you are putting in a twin spark! This has been done many times with Juniors, 1750's swapping to 2 litres.
Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

Well, I decided that the 1750 was too non-standard to put in the Super (its an ex race motor) and went for originality and had the 1600 re-built. In hindsight (wonderful thing that) I could have rebuilt the 1750 as well for what it ended up costing me. The 1600 had had some dubious work done previously with non-standard (varying thickness) valve guides, and liners that appeared to have been machined individually to fit - hence new liners were all at different heights. When the block was skimmed and the new liners machined to fit, the engine wouldn't turn as the pistons hit the head ! Head had to be machined. All added up.
However, now I have a very sweetly running 1600 which will be out and about as much as possible to get my moneys worth!
Cheers,

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Look forward to seeing the green machine on the road again .
Who did the machining?

Richard J

`65 Giulia Ti, `69 GT Junior, `74 GTV 2000, `76 Alfetta GTV, `77 Alfetta GTV, `84 GTV6

1 - 6 of 6 Posts