Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
15x6 Steel wheels with Sombrero's SOLD!!

Powdercoated never mounted 15x6 steel wheels with sombreros and center caps and Alfa logo's 500 or best offer plus shipping from Portland Oregon.Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi Neil,

How many rims are you selling?
Is the rim pictured an older alfa center section with USA-made outer rim welded on?
I wouldn't be interested in the sombreros but perhaps the rims.

Thanks, Fred

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Neil, confused and curious. How do Alfa wheels, made in Italy (Borrani stickers applied), come to have a Made in USA stamp, and it appears like they had hubcap clips once which would be for early 4 1/2" x 15" wheels. Thanks for your thoughts. Bruce

·
Super Moderator
10,622 Posts
Neil, confused and curious. How do Alfa wheels, made in Italy (Borrani stickers applied), come to have a Made in USA stamp, and it appears like they had hubcap clips once...
Neil, I'm not trying to insult your wheels; just make sure that whoever buys them gets what they need.

Bruce has a point here. The "Made in USA" stamp on the rim is puzzling on a factory Alfa wheel.

The holes for the hubcap clips might be original; perhaps Alfa didn't change the stamping die when they transitioned from hubcap --> sombrero. Leaving those holes wouldn't hurt anything.

But another thing puzzles me: the shape and orientation of the cooling holes. I always thought that 105-115 wheels had round holes, not oval. Also, the holes in Neil's wheels seem to face out radially, rather than axially. See photos below (first is Neil's wheel, second is a 105-115 wheel)

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
That shape hole is not unusual for a Giuletta, right? And early Giulias indeed had a round hole that was more wide-mouth volcano extruded shape, one of three ID'd hole shapes (another thread in Giulia folder). Could it be that a Giulietta Borani wheel was mated with a 15" USA wheel to make 6" rims? FWIR, Alfa wheels went to 6" wide when they went to 14" dia. Likewise, not a criticism, just trying to establish what it is. Well widened early wheels are a nice find. Giulia Bianca had some early Giulia 15" Borrani wheels widened and they looked nice.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
They look to me like 750/101 wheels (4-1/2" wide) that have had new "outers" installed (6" wide). This was pretty common "back in the day" to get wider wheels. The original hub cap clips have been removed and the later 105/115 sombrero caps have been installed. -John

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wheels for Sale

Hi Wes, 21lbs each
Bruce, They were remanufactured by Willamette Wheel in Portland years ago using the Alfa center portion on a new steel rim. I believe there is a company in California that does this now as WW is closed
Jay, understand your questions. I do not know which wheels the centers were originally from.
I have another set of race wheels that are very similar, see picture
Thanks these are all great questions.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
They look to me like 750/101 wheels (4-1/2" wide) that have had new "outers" installed (6" wide). This was pretty common "back in the day" to get wider wheels. The original hub cap clips have been removed and the later 105/115 sombrero caps have been installed. -John
I agree, Mystery solved. Nice wheels. A nice find.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
A buyer should also know the offset dimention of these as they are neither stock 101 or 105 wheels........
Was the 1 1/2" added to the front or rear ?

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Darn near any "street" wheel fits on a 105 Spider and GTV, but a Giulia rear is more sensitive. Don't know about a Giulietta/Giulia Spider. I also presume they are 4x108.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hello all, all the questions asked are interesting to me because I'm searching for wheels for a 71 GTV, the offset is a concern and it's interesting that all 3 wheels pictured have a different amount of "cooling holes" 10, 14 & 16 I'm new to the forum so any additional info about these wheels would be appreciated.

·
Richard Jemison
7,392 Posts
Offset

Just to be clear: Rim width is measured between the inside of the flanges for the tire mount, not overall width. as the rolled edge adds about 1/2" to the equation.

If the seller simply gave you the "backspacing" (distance from hub mounting surface to the rims mounting flange (not the rolled lip) it would be easy to compute the rim`s offset.

If 6" rims were built to have the same "rim center" position to match factory design (38mm offset) then the 6' rim (153mm width) should have 4.5" backspacing

To fit in a "sedan`s" narrow rear wheel arch width, the backspacing would have to be at least 5 inches. However the inner chassis and outer rolled edge of the fender might be very tight and require spacers or rolling the fender`s edge to make room.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
Some more info on these custom wheels might help folks decide what to do. From TireRack: "The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types (measured in millimeters). Backspacing, similar to offset, is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the inside lip of the wheel (measured in inches)"

PS: As Richard said, you want a fair amount of offset for a Super, my Heinbrand TI-Super replicas have an ET=40. My CD-35's on the Spider have ET=22.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,033 Posts
It takes a village Randy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Richard says what I, too, understand as ''offset'', as Bruce's diagram shows.

But, while not actually about "offset", Randy's question is fairly clear.

The extra 1 1/2'' was all added "outboard/streetside."

I PM'd Neil a few days ago to ask him about his wheels. He gave me a measurement which I compared to my same-style stock 15"x 4 1/2'' wheels.

The comparison showed that the extra width is all "outward". Again, nothing to do with finding the actual "offset".

Fred

ps And to answer my question, certainly no tires mounted on Neil's rims will fit inside the rear quarter panels/fenders on my Berlina.

Questo esto domesto :smartass:

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wheels for sale questions

Ok thanks for all of the help here, as I'm learning.

I measured from the lip outside of the rim with a strait edge to the backing plate of the wheel at its contact patch area. It measured 4 1/4 inches.
Using Bruce's chart it would be approx 4 inches back spacing or slightly less.

Also, I have a spot on an enclosed trailer heading to Los Angeles. can make shipping very cheap. Wheels will be left at a friend's warehouse for pickup.
Need to know fairly quickly as truck is leaving early week of the 5th.
Thanks
neil

·
Registered
974 Posts
Hey Neil, those are some darn good looking wheels and a fair price by my estimate. Glws!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts