Alfa Romeo Forums banner
4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  Berlinista 
#1 ·
iHi Guys..

Ive just finished rebuilding my very first GTV and i am on the quest for more power... since twin spark engines are exrtemely rare in South Africa I would like to swap my GTVs engine with the Alfetta 159i 2000 engine that features EFI.

What I want to know is will the 159 engine just bolt onto my 2000 gearbox or since the Alfettas gearbox is at the rear of the car will I have to mod some parts of the cranc or input shaft of the gearbox to geteverything to fit and work properly??

#2 ·
Forget it. I mean really forget it. Purely from a technical point of view. ( I ain't a purist!)
No can do. ( well, you COULD if you wanted to, as there's a guy swapping in a Ferrari 360 engine)
What YOU want to do , being in SA, is find out where Dawie de Villiers is. I thought Jo'burg.
Then have HIM rebuild your engine. You won't be disappointed! The man is a legend in building Alfa engines.

#5 ·
so, here goes: a 116 Nord engine can be swapped. You want to put a 116 engine into a 105.

Following will show up:
modify crank bushing. ( you need to remove the crank to do this or have it done.
Change oil pan AND oil pump lower assy.
Find out how to modify the rev counter assy. Best is to disassemble engine, have crank milled, change over engine front cover due to rev counter.
OTOH you could swap the EFI Motronic to your GTVs engine, together with the head.
But!

Why? It runs far less interesting compared to a carbureted car, there are hardly custom cams available etc.
I still suggest you contact Dawie and discuss your needs.

#6 ·
i have contacted davie and he says the best way to go is the 159i head and EFI system on my current bottom end so.
The main reason i want the EFI system is because i want to turbocharge the engine.

Now immediately you will tell me to use Dellorto turbo carbs , the only set i could find had a price tag of R10 000. madness. i can buy a complete running driving 159i for half the price and its much easier to tune and maintain than a carb system.

im thinking il use a 4mm copper headgasket to drop the compression slightly..

I appreciate all the help

#8 ·
you won't see much of a difference.
The rears are the same, it's just that a 105 has a slightly larger and deeper hole for a bronze pilot bushing. you purchase a pilot bush (two sizes, watch out!) Then you take out the crank, bring it away to a machine shop and have it drilled to the pilot bushings size.
There's no other way, sorry.

Can you find Alfa 75TB stuff there?
plug and play turbo.

one other problem with turboing a 105 is the steering house location vs turbo location. I know, I did this. ( a 75TB engine in a 105)
Is yours LHD or RHD?
RHD is much easier!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.