Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at this 2002 156 v6 and it has extra trim front and rear and side skirts. I'm not really a fan of this but does this indicate a special model or was it just an option when ordered?

I've attached a photo showing the rear "skirt", which if easy to do I would consider removing if I actually purchased this car, but ...
Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
PSK, The side skirts were an option on most models but standard on the "Monza". From memory they were about $1500. This car looks like a Monza (originally had green cloverleaf symbol, teledial wheels, orange dials). The rear skirt looks like an aftermarket add on and wheels look from a later model.

·
Administrator
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PSK, The side skirts were an option on most models but standard on the "Monza". From memory they were about $1500. This car looks like a Monza (originally had green cloverleaf symbol, teledial wheels, orange dials). The rear skirt looks like an aftermarket add on and wheels look from a later model.
This car does have orange lettering on the dials ... hmmm. Thanks for confirming the wheels are at least Alfa genuine wheels. Too many cars in the Tauranga area have flashy after market mags ... which I am not a fan of.

Might go and have a look at this car :). Have to confirm insurance costs first though.
Pete

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hard to tell from the angle in the photo, but I think the PO has tricked the car out with a GTA bodykit.

The rear bumper looks like mine - I have a red 2004 GTA. Do you have a front splitter? A frontal photo would helps would a full side on.

I think the wheels are 1st Gen GTA: If they are 17x7.5J ET35, then they are proper early GTA 17" Multispokes, not the later GT ones.

Peter

·
Administrator
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I now believe this car is a Monza, and would originally have had a boot spoiler as well. As the boot was damaged when hit up the rear it has been replaced with a boot minus a spoiler. Potentially with the spoiler the rear skirt thingy might have not looked so offensive, but now that I have removed it and cleaned all the glue off, personally it looks much better minus all this crap.

It is possible that the previous owner may have changed the wheels around as he had a couple of 156's. They are not easy to clean but yes they do have Alfa Romeo written on them so are genuine.

And yes she has a front splitter. Kember you are a lucky man to have the GTA version!
Pete

·
Administrator
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What she now looks like

Here she is now. Personally a massive improvement :)

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
As my signature suggests I am right into Alfa and as a consequence not only have a few cars but also a big collection of brochures and books. The brochures in particular are useful, highly useful if you are restoring. The 156 was really the first Alfa you could truly personalise as they had amongst others the BMW 3 series in their sights. BMW enables their customers to highly personalise their purchase - I once read for example there was over a million different permutations theoretically. Alfa followed this but in a much more limited way however it resulted in a lot of choice and variance within the named versions. There were at least a couple of rear splitter versions available, ignoring the GTA version for example. I have not seen any mention however of underbody aerodynamic aids (apart from the engine bay undertray) in any brochure or book.
I agree with Pete however in that the Monza kit did nothing to the looks of the car and looks better off. In this writer`s opinion the GTA body kit also does not enhance the looks - a reason why I haven`t bought one. 156`s look their best without anything more than their standard appearance. I don`t even like the side skirts on my V6, my Lusso 2 litre without looks better in my old conservative opinion......

·
Administrator
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep completely agree. I looked at removing my side skirts but that looks like difficult work. I even thought about removing the front spoiler thing, but also hard work. Since my car is a Monza, I believe that all these unnecessary things, that only add weight, were part of the Monza package so in some ways it should stay.

I probably would not have bought the car if it still had the rear wing.
Pete

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I looked at getting rid of my V6`s side skirts - it`s the Sport pack 2 version with lowered suspension etc but there are little studs on the sills to help secure the skirts so they were re -secured and left on. I believe the 156 to be a minor collectible Alfa Romeo for the future -certainly the V6 manual, and the Twin Spark 2 litre manual versions so worth looking after and keeping as tidy and original as possible. Kits such as the Monza option however do nothing for the looks of this very stylish car and in most peoples eyes detract from its appeal. Looks ridiculous on a street car, especially as they age but not out of place on a track day car used exclusively on the track.

·
Administrator
12,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah now the horrid thing hanging under the back has been removed and the wing has F'ed off, we are left with an elegant car that has the suggestion of power in it's lines. A wonderful bit of styling IMO. The rear (C) pillar is an improved version of the fourth generation Maserati Quattroporte to me, my favourite Maserati modernish car.

Pete

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I actually think the 156 is one of the best looking post WW2 Alfas to be sold. It also had a great interior, new really effective suspension and great engines be it the diesels to the twinspark and Busso V6. Remember they also won European Car of The Year in 1998. They also drive well and hard to tell they are front wheel drive. I`ve also had BMW E36`s, one of the main competitors at the time and am still a fan however the 156`s have in my opinion better (nicer) exterior and interior styling and their engines I think are better than BMW`s. The TS for example is a smooth as a BMW six but seems sportier with a little bit more urge whereas the V6 sound is enough to to justify owning one without the broader torque curve and performance over the bigger engined BMW 6`s. 156`s have more emotional appeal than most opposition and that by itself tends to help one car keep its value as they get older over perhaps a more competent overall product which ultimately is seen as slightly dull and cars with character are the ones people ultimately covet and desire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts