Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
I was on the highway (In a tunnel) in the middle of the afternoon rush so the speed was about 10-15 km/h. All of sudden all the warning lamps came on and the engine went dead. The stereo was still working. Managed to pull aside. Tried starting the car, there was current but the engine refused to start. Satt beside the road not knowing what to do. After about half an hour tried again and it started, This has never happend before. It is 99 156 and has gone about 10000Km. Cam belt was changed around 8000 plus full service by the dealership. My engine temp usually rises fast over 90 if it is a hot day but the fan usually comes on before boiling point !! Anybody seen this before?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealership is telling me it could be the
RPM sensor (also known as crankshaft position sensor).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was the so called RPM sensor. It was not that expensive to change. They zeroed all the programs in the cpu or what ever and had me drive around with the fault and when I took the car back then they changed it. I sold the car afterwards. I know the guy who bought it and he has not had the problem. I think it is a factory defect and they should call back all the cars they have sold with that component, because it was quite dangerous to have a engine shutdown in the middle of the high way. So change the thing before it even happens. Good luck

·
Registered
513 Posts
It was the so called RPM sensor. It was not that expensive to change. I think it is a factory defect and they should call back all the cars they have sold with that component, because it was quite dangerous to have a engine shutdown in the middle of the high way. So change the thing before it even happens. Good luck
It is a tad difficult to run an engine without crank position (when to fire the spark plugs is a good first question). It can/does happen on any EFI car and I would be surprised if the part used on the 156 TS is any different to what is used on lots of other cars (electrically/functionally/reliability-wise - it might have different mounting holes etc).

At least a modern EFI system will shut down when it sees intermittent/odd results - much cheaper and easier to fix than any resulting engine damage from the "press on regardless" (aren't company cars at least indestructible?) brigade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts