Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1996 Alfa 155 and was wondering if anybody knows how many other examples of this car are in the USA?
I get occasional comments on it which invariably lead to the question of how many there are in the country. I really don't know what to say.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
26,710 Posts
You may have 1 of 1.

·
Premium Member
9,683 Posts
Yeah, there are not many if any. Maybe 1 more but thats it. I love the 155. Enjoy it. If you need anything let me know? I have lots of 155 customers. Congrats on the purchase, I would kill for a Q4.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Jason

I recently helped a friend in Tucson AZ source a very nice 155Q4 in UK. It has now been legalised and titled in Az and will shortly be listed on BAT.

These are great cars. We´ve had a wide body car for 10 years now. Even in UK, no-one knows them.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently purchased a 1996 Alfa 155 and was wondering if anybody knows how many other examples of this car are in the USA?
I get occasional comments on it which invariably lead to the question of how many there are in the country. I really don't know what to say.
I have a 1997 155 2.5 V6 in Ottawa, Canada. It is a JDM Zender Ltd. Edition. There are very few up here as well, despite the availability to import them. I know of maybe 2-3 up here for the whole country.

If anyone wants to see it in person, I will be at Radwood in New Jersey this year. Was at Radwood Philly last year, the car won "Most Rad Livery and Graphics."

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
ChaosphereIX,

Won't be able to drive up to Canada and see your 155 in person, but would love to see more photos of it.

Tell us about the JDM Zender Limited Edt. body kit and if they are still available.

Thanks

Ray

·
Premium Member
9,683 Posts
ChaosphereIX,

Won't be able to drive up to Canada and see your 155 in person, but would love to see more photos of it.

Tell us about the JDM Zender Limited Edt. body kit and if they are still available.

Thanks

Ray
I highly doubt available. Zender stuff for these don't last and become very rare. Have to look for used but that will be difficult as well. Zender around 2002 from memory moved from aftermarket wheels/body kits to working on OEM stuff. But I think they have moved back to aftermarket a little... 155 will not be in their range for anything.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but I understand.

Uh, one other thing; where do you keep your's parked:)

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
The Alfa 155 was triple cooperation between Fiat (Tempra), Lancia (Dedra) and Alfa 155, of which arguably the Alfa 155 was most attractive. The Alfa version had as top model version the Q4 with 4WD drive and 2l 16V turbo engine about 190Hp. The Q4 version had one glorious year in 1992 winning the Italian touring car championship with a model named 155GTA. This was an uptuned car with 400Hp.

Later in 1993-1996 an even more developed version was raced in Germany DTM series and also a world tourincar series. This car was named 155V6 TI and had a V6 engine with up to 500Hp. So the 155 was a very succesful car in motorsport, cars proudly displayed in the Alfa Romeo museum!

What is lesser known is that there were plans of production of a street version of the 155 GTA then called Stradale. One car was made and it found its way to the private market. Here an attempt to sell it on an auction. Seems the price was too stiff for a sale. But anyway the top models of the 155 are collectors items!

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24957/lot/23/

More to read about the 155Q4 and 155V6TI under the Alfa Romeo History chapter here written by me some time ago.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
While I've read quite a bit about the prototype in question, it's good to have your information posted to this thread.

Not certain, but Davide Cironi may have driven this car in one of his videos.

Thanks,

Ray

P.S. When I win the lottery, I going to have some super tuner/ carrozzeria build me a 300 hp+ 155 V6 TI Stradale:)

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Of course this is a prototype which never reached production from factory but later got approval for road use by later owner. I think the extraordinary price mostly reflects the cars originality and not the level of technical development. The car was thought as an answer to the evolution cars for road from BMW and Mercedes, but they found the 4 cyl 16V engine too ordinary and the V6 2,5L engine as too big and costly, so the project was dropped. However BMW and Mercedes also had 4 cyl. engines for their evo cars!

Cironi driving the car:

As a curiosity a hybrid project from England. The guy´s dream was to recreate a road V6 TI (power) with the installation of the Fiat 5cyl 2L turbo engine. A Nice combination! Also he reported that 400Hp was reached, however he decided not to install 4WD drive at the time because of the weight, so the car has front wheel drive. Maybe he later extended to 4WD?

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Thanks for this video.

I had no idea that FIAT had a 5 cylinder 2L, and this chap claimed 400 HP? I wonder how long he had it on the road?

I would imagine that this hybrid project from England was quite an undertaking consuming tons of money, effort and time. However, such projects are the result of an "Let's just see what would happen if..", "Why couldn't we just...", or "I bet we could get this to work, if we just used.." expression of creativity and determination. Gotta love it!

I imagine that if we got honest, everyone of us has concocted a host of engineering projects in our heads that other people would consider to be ludicrous and a complete waste of time and money. But, without such projects or imaginations, we would still be rubbing two sticks together to cook our wooly mammoth burgers.

Are there other such videos that you know of?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Considering a little bit I think actually the GTA Stradale would have been just right with the 5 cyl 20V turbo and around 300Hp for the road.

This would have surpassed the BMW M3 2,5Evo 240Hp and the Mercedes 2,5 16 Evo, about same power. The potential of the 5 cyl turbo engine is even more than 400Hp, but that is for racing and ketchup delay effect.

Here offers for tuning the 5 cyl 2L

Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo - ECU Mapping & Performance Chips

Significant video:

The V6 TI won two significant wins on Nürburgring Nordschleife in 1993. Alfas first race there with this car and Larini had never raced there before. in spite of that he won both races outright at the home track of both BMW and Mercedes. Also he became champion in the series that year with this car.

PS: please disregard the sad face above, I did not put it there but unable to remove it. So a happy face here :smile2:

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 93 DTM and 94 BTCC 155 racing cars are what made me, at the age of 9, want one. Had to wait till 2012 to import mine to Canada. Worth it.

The Zender body kit is not available, as was pointed out, anywhere anymore except on existing cars, of which there are very, very few. I have seen perhaps 3 others like mine on the 'net.

IMO the 155 should have either the Busso V6 or a high-revving Twincam. That is true to its motorsports heritage. Both can make big power (480hp+ and 300hp+ respectively).

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
Lee McMurchie, a Scotsman, made his videos about 8 years ago, so who knows what happened to his track day 155. It would an interesting find if it were not wrecked or junked.

I loved the sound and the power of my '88 Red Milano Verde, so I would vote for a tuned Busso V6 12 or 24 Valves. It would never be a track day car, but it would be DRIVEN on the street!

What parts are available for an AWD V6 155?

Are the FIAT 5 cyl 2L engines available, anymore?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
The 93 DTM and 94 BTCC 155 racing cars are what made me, at the age of 9, want one. Had to wait till 2012 to import mine to Canada. Worth it.

The Zender body kit is not available, as was pointed out, anywhere anymore except on existing cars, of which there are very, very few. I have seen perhaps 3 others like mine on the 'net.

IMO the 155 should have either the Busso V6 or a high-revving Twincam. That is true to its motorsports heritage. Both can make big power (480hp+ and 300hp+ respectively).
Your car is very nice indeed and interesting personal story behind it. Dreams are made and pursued until they are realized! Thats nice part of life.

With regards to the wished engines in the 155GTA Stradale, the V6 option was discarded from the Project because they could not make it fit longitudinally in a 4WD car. The 2L BTCC car with the D2 normally aspirated engine actually had 300Hp, but it was only suited for racing, the high revs not suited for road.

So only the 2L 16V turbo and the 2L 5 cyl 20V turbo could have been canditates. However turbocharging the Twin Spark engine could have a choice also, but that engine was not in the program in turbocharged version.

Here we have seen the V6TI engine installed in a 75 transaxle, and supposedly the 500Hp in that car would be a dream combination. But unfortunately only on paper. The race engine character did not suit the car at all. Actually who would drive a car with no power under 5000 rpm and best power at 11000 rpm.! So that project was terminated after realizing the combination was unsuitable.

So that leaves the car two likely options for big power, the 2L 4 cyl 16V turbo (original) or the 2L 5 cyl 20V turbo from the coupé . Both are from Fiat.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Lee McMurchie, a Scotsman, made his videos about 8 years ago, so who knows what happened to his track day 155. It would an interesting find if it were not wrecked or junked.

I loved the sound and the power of my '88 Red Milano Verde, so I would vote for a tuned Busso V6 12 or 24 Valves. It would never be a track day car, but it would be DRIVEN on the street!

What parts are available for an AWD V6 155?

Are the FIAT 5 cyl 2L engines available, anymore?

Thanks,

Ray
The 155 came with the V6 2,5L 12V engine, front wheel drive. Never with 4 wheel drive, never with 24V and never 3L of any sort.
So that excludes some of the questions.

Upgrading with V6 would be to install a 3L 12V engine or a 3,2L 24V GTA engine. But still the car would be front wheel drive.

The only car with 4WD was the Q4 which was a 2L 16V turbo. This one was the basis for the championship winner 155GTA. 1992.

Engines for such projects I expect to be possible to find both the 3,2GTA(250Hp) and the 5 cyl Coupe turbo 220Hp.

Info on the Fiat Coupe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Coupé

Here the guy testing, seems the exhaust system could be enlarged, too much exhaust through too small pipe size?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Here McMurchies project pages. Very interesting how he did it! But starting this would require help!

alfa155.org ? View topic - FIAT COUPE 20V TURBO IN THE 155 (heart transplant) (UPDATED)

Then the same engine transplanted to a later Alfa 916 GTV. To give impression of the 20V engine.

Then a 3L 24V transplant in the 155, also dreamed of here:

https://petrolicious.com/articles/this-alfa-romeo-155-with-a-busso-3-0l-v6-engine-swap-is-inspired-by-90s-touring-cars

So, all covered. Hope this answers questions!

·
Registered
31 Posts
155 and 156 in USA

Looks like you might have bought Barry Mann from Orlando’s old 155?
That’s a nice car.

I have a 2001 Alfa 156 2.5 24V with an upgraded front (2003). I love my car and takes it to shows around Florida. People often ask: “what kind of car is that?”.
I wonder how many of the 156 are in the USA? Can’t be many.
Parts for the 155/156 can be found on EBay UK or other European countries.
I have some documentations on CD’s if you need?

Enjoy your car,
Erik.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts