Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 75 2.0 ts and the engine is not worth renovating, i also have a 2.0 ts from a 155 with two coils
is it possible to move the front cover from the 75 to this engine ? also move the crank and cams will it work or are these blocks not identicaly ?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Everything's possible, but not plug&play.

Some mods needed, head cooling passages different as well as oil pan, dizzy, oil pump, inlet manifold system. Crank from 155 is different by distance from flywheel to bellhouse.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but all the parts that are needed in the 75 ( oilpan, two distributers, cams, "front cover" and crank
wouln't they fit the 155 engine ?
so that i can keep the 155 block and head, and then fit cams, crank, intake, oil pan from the 75 ?

·
Registered
142 Posts
75 ts distributor won't fit 155 head an the block doesn't have a distributor hole I think... 155TS doesn't have distributors.
If you were to use the 155 engine management/wiring and ignition system, then of course there would be no problems, but this also means that you would most likely need all the auxiliary belt driven stuff from 155 as well.

The 155 block is a little shorter than 75 block, the sump won't fit without modification. 155 sump needs to be modified to not hit the steering rack and TS sump is a little too long for 155 block, but probably can be made to work.
Coolant pipes need to be rerouted, because thermostat on 155 head is near firewall in a 75.
Oil pumps are quite different, so in my opinion 155 sump will only work with 155 oil pump (which is supposed to be better) and 75 sump will only work with a 75 pump I think. And, because oil pump is attached to the front cover plate, it will dictate which type of auxiliary belts/devices you will need. 155 uses ribbed belts, 75 uses V belts.

I'm currently in the process of rebuilding a 155 engine that is going go into my 75, but I have yet to tackle the sump modification and address the block length problem, so it's all just my observations from other build threads and some measurements on the engines I have.
There is also an issue of oil filter location - if you use 155 block it has oil filter on an engine mount, which doesn't fit in 75 engine bay... so either you need to source a 164 (1st series) front plate, or use some remote filter location, by removing the engine mount and tapping oil lines directly into the front cover.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay thanks, i Think it is easier to rebuilt the old engine then

Many thanks for all the details !! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts