Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I am trying to decide what 15" wheel option to go with.

I've sent messages to Group 4 about their 15" turbinas. Haven't heard back (or it hit my spam). Does anyone know if they still make them?

I've also been looking into fabrication of wheels. I'm not too excited by other options I've seen. Certainly more expensive but the right stance and look might be worth the $$. I've found one shop in Italy (speedwheels.it) that could be interesting, and a couple of options in the US.

What have others done? I've read the past posts, trying to re-ignite this topic. thanks, tj

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi Teej

I noticed your posting while trawling through the site looking for something else. Generally, Johnathan (Group 4 Wheels) doesn't answer his emails unless there's something in it for him. However, I have established that he has sold all 60 of the 15" Turbina wheels and intends to cast some more "one day". I get a feeling it's like waiting for for a cure for cancer. I, too, am looking at wheel options. Can I ask why you want to go to 15" wheels instead of the standard 14" ones?

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If that's what it takes for him to answer emails then why bother supporting his business?

I've found a 15" solution. Photos soon, not for the purists. 15" rubber options are much better than 14"

·
Registered
216 Posts
I, too, am anxious to see what Teej has come up with. While I've been told that there isn't such a thing as a 14" performance tyre, I've noticed on their website that Dunlop make a "SP Sport LM7" series tyre that they claim IS a perfromance tyre. Has anyone had experience with these Dunlop tyres? While Yokohama Advan AD08 are certainly the best cornering tyre I can find, it should be realised that a Montreal is a GT and not a small and light car like other 105 series. So maybe a less aggressive tyre than the AD08 is more suitable for Montreals?

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
Doesn't Coker still offer the XWX? For a price.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd show the result sooner if I can manage to find some left thread lugs and nuts. Or I just may convert all the lugs.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I'd show the result sooner if I can manage to find some left thread lugs and nuts. Or I just may convert all the lugs.
Giorgio Penatti has some beautiful polished stainless steel lug nuts, made of type 316 stainless steel, available from Italy.

Also, I suspect that you have seen the 15" GTA style wheels that Don chose for his Montreal. I really like the look, which is a personal thing but think they require 10 mm spacers to have a web the same thickness as the original Turbina style wheel. Otherwise I believe it is possible that the lug studs may bottom out in the top of the acorn nuts.

Bridgestone 195/55 R15 Wheel Tyre Package

Mark

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
5mm spacers. Not a big deal.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I know these are 14" but think they would look cool on a Montreal. They would most likely require 10 or 15mm spacers to clear the brake calipers.
4 Cerchi in lega per Alfa Romeo Giulia Gt Duetto da 14 attacco 4 x 108. | eBay

I agree 5 mm spacers are no big deal. The stock Turbina wheels have a 10 mm spacer added on the inside 'web' of the wheel. With 5 mm spacers, the studs may bottom out in the acorn style lug nuts and cause galling of the threads.

Do the 4 pot Ate calipers from a 7 series BMW require any additional space or will they work fine with 14" wheels? I know Wards AutoDelta Montreal has 4 pot Ate calipers probably from an Alfa 6 and they work well with the stock wheels.

Mark

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those are some nice wheels. I haven't secured left threaded studs yet. I'll give my other reach outs another week before I decide to just convert the side to righty-tighty's

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I haven't secured left threaded studs yet.
You can probably have these in 4 or 5 days, if they are in stock (WHO11 and WHO12) polished stainless steel for GTA and Montreal...
Classic Alfa - Search Results for "lug nuts"

I just wish that the left hand thread nuts had a line cut around the mid line like the original nuts as a reminder that they are LHT. I think Giorgio's have this indicator.

Mark

·
Registered
163 Posts
Giorgio Penatti has some beautiful polished stainless steel lug nuts, made of type 316 stainless steel, available from Italy.

Also, I suspect that you have seen the 15" GTA style wheels that Don chose for his Montreal. I really like the look, which is a personal thing but think they require 10 mm spacers to have a web the same thickness as the original Turbina style wheel. Otherwise I believe it is possible that the lug studs may bottom out in the top of the acorn nuts.

Bridgestone 195/55 R15 Wheel Tyre Package

Mark
I think that look on Don car is a Great look, I a not a fan for the stock original wheel as it looks like the Drug dealer SS car that took the Irish people money to finance the POS.
I almost passed buying a Montreal because of the stock wheels.
But the Look of this car was too good to pass on buying one

Sorry for the rant !

Anyway That package is the way I will go !

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I am not a fan of the stock wheels on the Montreal (apparently any stock wheels:). I really did not like cleaning the Turbina wheels and those 32 (I think) brake dust collecting pockets. Whenever I see Don's car, I admire those 15" GTA wheels and they remind me of the prototype, after they removed the 'Miura-ish' show wheels. There is a guy on the west coast that has sold dozens of the 15" GTA's in the ABB classifieds; I don't know if he still has them and at what savings.

The stock wheels are all neatly stacked up in the back of the garage for the next custodians to decide what to do with them. I have seen two sets of stock Turbina wheels on ebay. One was $3K and the second set was $2K! If anyone wants them that bad I am sure that I could be persuaded to let them go. The same thing with my clock that is right only twice a day; whats it worth?

Mark

·
Push hard and live
9,591 Posts
If memory serves, I had the original wheels installed over the BMW calipers while shoving the car around the shop. No problem.

Alfaholics sold me some left-hand studs awhile back. I believe they said they were BMW items as Alfa no longer supplies. They were done in bright zinc rather than black, but that would be invisible anyway.

The total price on my wheels from A-H's was entirely reasonable, and the dollar/pound has gotten better for us since then. I doubt buying from the domestic guy would save enough to matter, and meanwhile you could throw in a few more needed parts without incurring any more freight.

I'm using Michellin tires. Don't recall which, but the details are in my thread. They work fine. They're a good-handling-but-not-long-life design, which suits my use and attitude.

I like Mark's wheels, but at this point I'll stick with the direction I'm going.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've sent messages to Group 4 about their 15" turbinas. Haven't heard back (or it hit my spam). Does anyone know if they still make them?...
I called Group 4 when I was in London last month and they said they would probably make another batch in November. He suggested anyone interested to "like" them on Facebook. That's apparently their preferred way of tracking potential customers. Regardless of that, I would suggest contacting them in the fall to see what they think then.

Group 4 Wheels - Reviving historic rally, road and track motorsport wheels
+44 1225 430 502

1 - 16 of 16 Posts