Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my hands on the alfa 145/6 gearbox manual and realized that it has a cast alloy finned sump that would be a straight bolt swap.
Would it be a good idea to install one onto my track car gearbox or would it be a better idea to use a remote oil cooler, maybe both!

Picture:

·
Registered
612 Posts
for sure a finned sump, takes up less space and less things to go wrong but ,where are you going to find one?

maybe a remote one for the engine oil

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Id say it wouldnt be too hard to get one from the UK or Italy, not heavy or large so shipping should be ok.
I think your absolutley right about the simplicity factor in terms of not having to run lines ect, but would it be as effective as a remote cooler?

·
Registered
612 Posts
probably not as effective as a remote unit but it is only the gearbox
also how would you circulate the gearbox oil with a remote unit too? you would need an electric pump or something

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I'm aware yes you would need some sort of pump and it would have to be on the outside of the box, An idea I'm not keen on. Part of the reason I like the sump idea better.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the photo & info. I have the crossover exhaust and was wondering if it would foul on a finned sump. Do you have any other photos? How much difference do you think the crossover exhaust makes?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the photo & info. I have the crossover exhaust and was wondering if it would foul on a finned sump. Do you have any other photos? How much difference do you think the crossover exhaust makes?
About 15 Nm less torque in the midrange (depends on the length of the pipes) and about plus 500 rpm..

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I heard a sprint on the track with the crossovers It didn't sound that muich different at high rpm. I didn't hear what it sounded like at a lower revs though.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you have a remote cooler then you will need a scavenge pump to get the oil out the box and pumped around the circuit. For this application I think the improvement from the finned cast sump is plenty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
man that exuast is nice, wat size??? 2 inch or bigger??? wats sound like from it??? is that a sprint or a sud???

cheers

ps sump idea sounds like a good mod...

·
Registered
51 Posts
How did you manage to fit those discs and calipers inboard? I have a '76 Alfasud berlina that I would like to upgrade in a similar manner. Do you have pics and possibly some installation info on how you did it as well as part numbers for the discs and calipers?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts