Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Push hard and live
9,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a windage tray from "Alfa Heaven" (Zats) advertised as a "102 windage tray". Although a windage tray was not original on any 102 I know of, the Zats have a long history with the type, and as I'm currently rebuilding a 102 (engine type 00204, cast iron 2000), I thought I'd take a look.

It does not fit my engine.

Years ago I tried to order some cam bolt locking tabs from Afra for my "102" engine. They quoted the part number for the typical all aluminum engines, pointing out that they fit the "engine type 102".

Ok.

I am led to believe that an engine type 102 is an early 1300 Veloce engine. Maybe this windage tray is for that type, which makes more sense than it fitting a big cast iron 2000.

I paid $35. That's the price to pass it onward, and you pay the freight.

I'll post a picture later today.

Just don't buy it from me for $35 and flip it for $500 in the event it turns out to be super rare for a Veloce engine. Buy it cuz it'll fit your engine and you need one.

·
Push hard and live
9,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm. I posted a picture about an hour and a half ago, but don't see it now. I'm currently on my IPad, and Apple is more malware than functional, so I'll go check my desktop.

Anyway, you're first ask, Andrew, so you're welcome to it. Wanna see the pic first, though?

·
Push hard and live
9,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picture

Here's the tray. Again - I cannot be certain what it is for. When I laid it on top of my 00204 (CI-2000) engine bottom, one notch sort of lined up with where the oil pickup tube needed to traverse from the case to the pickup end. However, the securing holes lined up with nothing, and the overall size was too small for the 2000. Plus, there was no provision for the supporting tripod for the oil pickup head.

So - it has a "Alfa" feel about it, but not for my engine.

"102" is written in yellow paint marker on the tray, presumably by the Zats. I spotted no imprinted part numbers. There are rolled grooves in several places that appear well done and not rough like one might see if hand-done.

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
Definitely not a Giulietta Veloce or Normale part, could still be Alfa though.
I have not seen one like that before.
Anyone else recognize it?
Would be interesting to know what it is?

·
Premium Member
21,694 Posts
Hmm, if "definitely not Alfa," that might a different matter.
No identifying numbers or marks?
Andrew

·
Push hard and live
9,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not a 1300 guy, although I overhauled the engine in my G-prod spider. It had no tray.

I was told that the engine tipo 102 was a 750 Veloce. Might there be a difference in 750 and 101 Veloces? This could also be a Zat special, although the general details suggest production, not one-off.

I'll look closer for marks. Don't want anyone disappointed, hence $35.

By the way, the quote was "definitely not Giulietta.... Could be Alfa though"

Your call.

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
I was told that the engine tipo 102 was a 750 Veloce. Might there be a difference in 750 and 101 Veloces?
Engine prefix 00102 is a 1300 Sprint / Spider Normale from '60 to '62

750 engines are all prefixed 1315, the number that follows determines what it was destined for

101 engines were prefixed 001xx

00102 - Sprint & Spider Normale
00106 - Sprint & Spider Veloce
00109 - RHD Ti

and so forth

As for differences between 750 & 101 Veloce engines, suffice to say the only common parts are the pistons & liners.....

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
21,694 Posts
Greig, do you have a sense what it is? I'm happy for either Normale or Veloce. Could it be for the 101 Normale pan? I don't have one handy to look at.

Andrew

·
Push hard and live
9,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a couple more pictures. No part numbers I can find. Definitely a production-run piece, including spot-welded doublers at the ends where the attachment holes are located.

The notches along the side strike me as appropriate for an Alfa, with the larger notch for the oil pickup snorkel, and the smaller for the dipstick. Not big enough for the cast iron "102".

It'll hit the bin in a while if no one cares to play with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
Andrew and Don,
Not to be a buzz kill, but this part is not from a giulietta of any kind.
Normale,
Veloce
Not even for a 1600 normale or Veloce.
Way different than any giulietta piece I have ever seen. DaveB

·
Premium Member
21,694 Posts
Thanks Dave, I appreciate the full response.
Don, I'll pass since it's not Giulietta or Giulia.
Thank you.
Andrew

·
Push hard and live
9,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No worries. I've sent a query to Alfa Heaven asking if they know what it fits, as it does not fit an Alfa 102 as stated in the ad. It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, they have to say.

·
Administrator
3,810 Posts
Hi Guys

Agree with Dave, it's not 750 or 101 or 105 for that matter

No idea what it's for, but it could be cut down and modified to suit a 750/101 engine, these windage trays are easy enough to make, I made a jig and knocked out a few for my cars.

Ciao
Greig

·
Push hard and live
9,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mystery solved

I received a reply back from Tom Zat, who directed me to the picture for a 106 (2600) windage tray. Not what he advertised it to be, but that's all part of the sport. I'll now repost the for-sale listing to note it is for a 2600.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts