Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Giulietta Fans - I just noticed what appears to be a 1300 Veloce engine and transmission at the Mecum "Millers at Milwaukee" auction this weekend (July 8 & 9). Lot # Z226. Thought some of you might be interested. Regards, Dave B.

·
Super Moderator
11,363 Posts
Does anyone else think that price - $11,250 - seems a bit excessive? Yes, I know the DCO3 carbs are quite valuable, and that veloce engines are becomming scarce. But ELEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS for an engine in unknown conditon????

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I believe there are advantages to buying like this that are obvious. $11,000?

So what if the intrinsic pieced out value is $9000+----(3000-carbs/ intake; 1000-pan; 1000-head; 1000- crank; 1500 block; 1500 tranny; et al, etc)

It doesn't take higher math to understand this isn't so exorbitant even if my component numbers are a little optimistic. If I needed everything, this works for me. Just don't tell your wife.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think that there may be more than a few surprises within this motor. The oil pan is a normale steel pan with a Lucas Starter. The auction does not describe it as a Veloce engine, no number provided, no photo of the number? although it has the Marelli distributor, generator and the webers and some other obvious veloce parts it has several indications that it is a mix of veloce/normale. DaveB

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I think that there may be more than a few surprises within this motor. The oil pan is a normale steel pan with a Lucas Starter. The auction does not describe it as a Veloce engine, no number provided, no photo of the number? although it has the Marelli distributor, generator and the webers and some other obvious veloce parts it has several indications that it is a mix of veloce/normale. DaveB
Mixed electics don't send me packing.. serial numbers are important, indeed.. I can't see the oil pan ... For sure, I would not pay $11000 without an inspection; certainly not on the photos I see and probably not without the correct pan. Oil pans can be swapped out AFTER it is out of the car and in some dark barn. Marelli starters are about as short lived as as a salmon swimming upstream. It doesn't mean it is not a true Veloce. Sometimes this confusion plays into the hands of a shrewd person who knows what is for real and the incorrect elements blow off the nay-thinkers. If it is a true Veloce, I don't think it's a terminal case of monetary wrecklessness.. just don't take food off the table to do it. The components bought separately--crank, heads, block-- have more likelihood of being align bored, milled into submission, warped, reground without fillets and beyond hope i.e. boat anchors,than anything like this that is fully asssembled and possibly out of a rolled wreck.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
to bad the fan is broken

·
Administrator
4,040 Posts
A Veloce engine, with a Normale pan, sold at a premium price.......

Putting 2 & 2 together from a conversation I had with another Alfista, I surmise that this is engine 1315.30027, the #27th Lightweight veloce motor made, originally fitted to chassis 1493E01737 manufactured on the 20th April 1956 and painted Rosso 501, it was sold to Barone Nicola Musmeci Acireale (CT) - it's on the much quoted list of the first 100 SV Lightweights about 1/3rd down on the 1st page

While on the subject of the list of the first 100 Lightweights, the original author would have done us all a favour if he's continued with the remaining 500 or so Lightweights to produce a definative list of around 600 750E Lightweights - too many folks have claimed that this list is proof only 100 cars were made......try telling that to Lightweight owners with chassis numbers later than the 100th car, which was Abbate's 1493E02158, the 3rd Lightweight to be converted into an SVZ.

Back to the motor above - buyer paid an absolute premium for it, considering that the condition is *unknown*, each to his own, in 5 years time this motor will seem cheap. Yes it has provinance as a very early Lightweight motor, would be way better if it was still attached to E01737 - anyone in Wisconsin know where this chassis ended up ??? - the new owner of the motore desires the autotelaio

Uncle R - weren't the early tunnel case levers the plain ones without the silentbloc, but with the upturn at the end ????

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
A Veloce engine, with a Normale pan, sold at a premium price.......

Putting 2 & 2 together from a conversation I had with another Alfista, I surmise that this is engine 1315.30027, the #27th Lightweight veloce motor made, originally fitted to chassis 1493E01737 manufactured on the 20th April 1956 and painted Rosso 501, it was sold to Barone Nicola Musmeci Acireale (CT) - it's on the much quoted list of the first 100 SV Lightweights about 1/3rd down on the 1st page

While on the subject of the list of the first 100 Lightweights, the original author would have done us all a favour if he's continued with the remaining 500 or so Lightweights to produce a definative list of around 600 750E Lightweights - too many folks have claimed that this list is proof only 100 cars were made......try telling that to Lightweight owners with chassis numbers later than the 100th car, which was Abbate's 1493E02158, the 3rd Lightweight to be converted into an SVZ.

Back to the motor above - buyer paid an absolute premium for it, considering that the condition is *unknown*, each to his own, in 5 years time this motor will seem cheap. Yes it has provinance as a very early Lightweight motor, would be way better if it was still attached to E01737 - anyone in Wisconsin know where this chassis ended up ??? - the new owner of the motore desires the autotelaio

Uncle R - weren't the early tunnel case levers the plain ones without the silentbloc, but with the upturn at the end ????

Ciao
Greig
If all is accurate, as my nephew says, I would have set my bid limit at $9258.57. I still think it is a bargain if the beauty doesn't show signs of being in a flooded basement which happens to about 99% of the basements in the USA at some time in a half century. When I bought Tuttle's SZ, we hauled trannies out of their basement like cord wood that were rusted solid from high water. This motor shows rust below a water line, maybe.....Shift levers...I don't talk about these anymore...the subject causes hair loss and gnashing of my teeth. There are absolutely no definitive explanations for what they are nor why they are what they are.

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,568 Posts
what is the sign for a tongue in cheek comment? I was being facetious. I'm going to go back through all my old documentation and find the vin number of my 750F and then start kicking myself.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
This puts the Veloce engine recently for sale in CA, complete but disassembled, at $6000 seem not too bad!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts