Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok the mighty pug let me down the other day, mechanic sais its both the in-tank pump and the external pump. I was quoted $1300 to replace them, which I think is really steep. Priced the parts out today, not too far off from what he is charing, shop rate is $135 an hour. So, am I right in thinking that this is just a little too much to pay for such a repair? I would have had it towed home, but its a ways from my house, plus I need it back up and running soon, feel nervous with only one european car on hand. Well, I am just going to sulk and think of how to pay this off, its going to be a tough one, but I do really love that car (ask leonard.) Thanks for your thoughts, and or condolences,

Jon

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
1300$....thats F-ing NUTS...whats the price in parts and who thru...i cant belive that...are they gold plated and diamond studed?...does the shop supply the lube?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About $600 for the parts, genuine Peugeot of coarse, no need to get the cheaper Bosch generic part that they use on all motronic cars.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Jon -
I feel sorry for you. It does not seem that a repair such as this should cost this much. I cannot 'vote' however, because your question "Is this fair, or highway robbery?" is a compound question, thus you would not know if I were voting 'yes' for the first part or the second. Similarly, you would not know if I were voting 'no' for the first part or the second.
You tell us $135/hour for labor (WOW~!! I'm in the wrong business, I should be fixing French cars) but don't tell us how many hours the mechanic is going to take.
I'd park the Pug, drive the 164, and fix the Frenchy later.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well Nicola I got a bit of good news, 164FAMILY, on the alfabb, who I bought the car from got me a great deal on towing and is going to install the purchased parts. I know some people on the BB might have mixed feelings on him, but he does stand behind what he sells, and is a good friend, if not best friend of mine. Soooo in the end it might work out afterall. Another thing to consider, the SF bay area is ridiculously overpriced for car work, and the shop is the best Pug repair shop in the bay, so you get what you pay for, in this case, just a bit too rich for my tastes. BTW I see what you mean by my poll question, next poll I will make it more of a yes/no. Labor works out to about 650 or so and the parts about the same. I looked up the parts prices online, they are not too far off, but its the labor that kills.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Good Luck

I'm glad Lenard will do the work for you.
It's the old French/Italian Connection that pays off.
Let us know how it turns out and when the Pug is on the road again.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do, I love that Pug, they are fun cars! Alfa people do not believe me when I tell them it can keep up with a Milano or spider with ease on a twisty road!

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Well Nicola I got a bit of good news, 164FAMILY, on the alfabb, who I bought the car from got me a great deal on towing and is going to install the purchased parts. I know some people on the BB might have mixed feelings on him, but he does stand behind what he sells, and is a good friend, if not best friend of mine. Soooo in the end it might work out afterall. Another thing to consider, the SF bay area is ridiculously overpriced for car work, and the shop is the best Pug repair shop in the bay, so you get what you pay for, in this case, just a bit too rich for my tastes. BTW I see what you mean by my poll question, next poll I will make it more of a yes/no. Labor works out to about 650 or so and the parts about the same. I looked up the parts prices online, they are not too far off, but its the labor that kills.

Who has mixed feelings about me?:confused: I hope not Robb he is still flagging my Craigslist postings but then he has no life. The rest of us we are all friends.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Who has mixed feelings about me?:confused: I hope not Robb he is still flagging my Craigslist postings but then he has no life. The rest of us we are all friends.
Settle down Lenard. :D
Get a thicker skin:D
Jon wasn't naming names, just suggesting that you (as many of us;)) have some 'less than friends' on this board. :p (Their problem, not ours):rolleyes:

Good luck on the Pug repair.
I'm out.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Leonard is a close friend of mine, and I hate it when others on the board make him look like a guy who just sells alfa's for money. When it comes to alfa's and other makes he stands by his name and work. You will see the Pug in your shop tomorrow leonard! Thanks again for the support, any other alfa buyer would just lay it back on his doorstep, and burn him to a cross. Again many thanks,

Jon

·
Premium Member
26,815 Posts
Rock auto shows these pumps for MI16 from 98.79 TO 285.79

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1528003
Replacement Type [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty]

$98.79 $0.00 $98.79

BOSCH Part # 69414 {Electric}
Universal Fuel Pump
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 7 business days *

$206.89 $0.00 $206.89
AIRTEX Part # E8260
DL, S, MI16
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 4 business days *

$273.99 $0.00 $273.99
BOSCH Part # 69456 {Electric}
* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 7 business days *

$285.79 $0.00 $285.79

·
Premium Member
26,815 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,815 Posts
I wonder what is really wrong with your fuel pump system pumps? Maybe in tank filter clogged or hose problem like 164 has. Bet Lenard can find out and way beat that 1300 price.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Jon called Seroni and sons? and told them that he would pay for the pump and take the car and have someone else do the work. But low and behold the shop said the car was done! At 8:00 AM when Jon called them. :confused::eek:

So to all you bay area people stay away from them bad news something is/was wrong.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, the shop works on Peugeot, Jaguar, and Land Rovers only, and its in the heart of the bay area, so, that kind of explains part of it, but yeah, it kind of sucks!

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think what killed the pump was the fact that I ran the car ran out of gas, even though the gauge registered above 1/8th. So thats what did it in for sure, if only I would have filled it up sooner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts