Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was attempting to remove the intake manifold on my stock 1300 Super so that I could replace the carb mounts. Besides the usual difficulties with 50 year old fasteners and odd placement, everything was going fine until I tried to actually remove the manifold. It was then that I noticed an odd bracket between the engine mount and the most forward bottom stud for the intake manifold. The bracket placement doesn't allow the manifold to come off. I've attached some pictures.

I've been around more than one other Alfa nord engine and have never seen a bracket like this. What is it? Is it at all necessary? I really don't want to have to lift the engine to unweight the mounts just to remove an extraneous bracket. Can I just carefully use a grinder to cut it out? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

By the way, long time reader, first time poster. Always wanted to write that. Thanks everyone.
IMG_1295.jpg IMG_1293.jpg IMG_1292.jpg

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
It is a stove. It collects engine heat and via a tube (which is missing) connects to that same sized switchable port that you were also wondering about that is on the side of the air cleaner.

They usually rusted out or got in the way so removed.

k

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh - got it. I knew that lower intake on the air cleaner was to bring in warmer air in cold weather. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks, Ken. I'll just carefully remove it then.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Yes remove and keep for the originality of your car or sell as there are owners looking for that from time to time.

K

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the bracket slotted or is there a hole in it at the engine mount? In other words, can I remove it without separating the engine from the mount? I understand the value of parts for originality, and would like to be of service to someone in the future, but may not have the ability to go the whole 9 yards.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
See a picture here

I think you will have to loosen and remove or move the motor mount. There are 2 parts to it as you will see.

Ken

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow, thanks for posting this.(..new to me..not unusual 😏). Slotting that fastening hole on the motor mount would sure reduce a bunch of grief. Maybe you could be lucky?

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I'm just guessing here, but I think slotted holes would not be good engineering practice and would lead to fatigue failure. Besides how many on/offs would one to expect to do with that bracket. History tells is, off once.

Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts