Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 71 GT1300 junior, has some issues on piston 4 exhaust (suspect burnt out or bent). And pistons 1+3 are showing low compresion during a dry cold test.

Without going into too much detail on the above, I'm preparing myself for the inevitable head rebuild, and probably an engine rebuild.

Now I've read most of the threads on here, in the Rebuild section. Most of which relate to 1750 or 2000cc rebuilds and upgrades. But I want to keep this car as a 1300, and will probably refrain from the 1400 kits out there. I love the little engine. And love its puppy revveyness. Yes I have to work the gearbox a lot, but that's all part of the drive.

Carbs are solex 40addhe, which set up properly a few years ago by a carb god gave me 104bhp. Still on points, so that will go.

Has anyone experience doing street upgrades on a 1300? Which info on the 2000cc can be relevant to the 1300? And what is obviously not? Obviously read a lot about using standard 1750 cams in the 1300. Would this apply to the 51's?

I'll be getting a recomended engine machine shop to do the work, I'll get some help with the assembly. It's the parts spec I'm nervous on. Having seen story's of people on here spending money where not needed and getting poor results, despite best intentions.

·
Premium Member
21,159 Posts
I would say it's good to learn as much as you can, but that doesn't mean the approach of every expert is going to be complementary. So once you've learned what you can, I'd pick one guru to follow and stick with him. There's more than one way to build more performance, and you don't want to end up with features that work against each other.

Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts