Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:
The car dealer has in stock O/H'd 1300 or 1600 or 1750 engines I can choose from in the restroation process. The car originally has a 1600 engine (GTC). Should I stick to 1600 or go for a more torquey 1750 or the 1300 which should be fun as I can use all the power bands in the congested city commute usage ?

Be greatful to hear characteristics of these engines.

Thank you and best regards.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
First of all HAJIMEMASITE, welcome to the BB!!

I would check if the 1600 engine the shop is offering is original to the car (it should have AR00502 XXXXX stamped right by the mechanical fuel pump on the right side of the engine block). If it is indeed 502 type engine, I would keep that engine (meaning keep it in your hands, not necessarily in the car) just in case you wish to make your car true to its original status. Considering rarity of the car, I think having the correct engine available is very important. Now, knowing how it is like to drive an carburated Alfa in Japan, I would recommend the 1750 because of its characteristic. It's torquey enough, yet it also loves to be revved (compared to the 2000) and I like it very much. On the other hand if you live in rural area and do not have to worry about cars around you, 1300 is very fun to drive and make you feel that you are driving really fast without risking your driver's license. The 1600 as you may have guessed, is somewhere in between these two engines, but more importantly this is THE stock engine for your GTC. After all, it's matter of preference so if it's possible at all, I would drive different Alfas w/ different engine (1300, 1600 and 1800) and see which one suits you best. If I were to pick one, it would be the original 1600 though.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tiger,
Thank you very much for your very useful comments! Arigatou gozaimasu.
You are right, actually driving the various engines is the right way to decide.
Keeping the original engine in any event, whether in or out of the car, is also what I am thinking of doing just in case I depart with the car in the future (I read on an auctioneer's site that it adds more value...).
Envious that you are in Colorado. I have to deal with the Tokyo traffic as you rightly guessed.
Also envious of your mom who has 25 Alfas!

Best regards.
Hiro

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
It's kind of amazing...

I think it's really amazing how much difference there is in the character of the different engines, given that they are basically all the same design. Even with the 1600, you have a fair amount of control over the feel based on the way it's built up. If you are going for a restoration I would stick with the original engine and then tune it to what you want by selecting the compression, cams and carb jetting that suits your driving situation. That will help preserve the value of the car. I have a 1600 Sprint Special that has a pretty mild tuning, and it is fine to drive in traffic. Plenty of torque at the low end, but probably not as "revy" as it would be if it had more aggressive cams. Still plenty of fun though, and it can stretch out on the freeway just fine.

Of course if you don't care about keeping originality, then there really are no rules :) I am in the process of putting a "modern" twin spark in a stepnose GTjr, but I feel a GTC is too rare to do that to it.

ちなみに、このBBには、日本のメンバーはどの位いるのでしょうか?日本のアルファのBBも存在するでしょうか?いつか、日本で古いアルファでツーリングをするのが私の夢です。等分さきになるだろうが。。。

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Blue58spider for another good tip (tuning the engine to match my situation). After hearing more experienced Alfa lovers' views, I think i will stick to the 1600 engine afterall.
Sprint Speciale. Very classy indeed. With a spider and a coupe, a very nice trio you have. In Japan, it is getting popular these days to build houses with a view to the garage from the lounge. I can sit there for a long time with those 3 parked !

今日本はツーリングに最適の季節です(秋晴れ)。街にも普段見ないオープンカーが出てきています。ヒストリック・カーはまだまだマイナーですが。。。いつかご一緒できるといいですね。

·
Premium Member
21,386 Posts
It depends on what your plans are. If you want to show the car, or care about originality, a 1600, and specifically the original engine if you have it, is best. For increase in power yet easy installation, go with a 1750, bolting on the 1600 flywheel so you can use the mechanical clutch setup with no modifications. For ultimate power, go with a 2000, using the adapter clutch setup, or a hydraulic pedal setup from a 69 car.

Andrew

Andrew

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Have you read any issue of "Solo Alfa" series from Nigensha? There's an article about my mother titled "A Lady Called Terry" in Solo Alfa Due (the second issue), and also an article about her '61 Romeo 2 racing car transporter in Solo Alfa Quattro (the fourth issue). I live in Colorado right now but will return to Gifu (my hometown) in a few months.

Envious that you are in Colorado. I have to deal with the Tokyo traffic as you rightly guessed.
Also envious of your mom who has 25 Alfas!

Best regards.
Hiro

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
What's the story of this GTC?

Shimizu-san,

Tell us more about the story of your GTC. Is it currently running or a restoration project? Post a picture if you can. I imagine that there are not many in Japan. (There aren't many in the world, for that matter.)

Cheers,

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dear Tiger, John and Andrew
Thank you very much for your responses. Your sincerety is very much appreciated.
My current situation is I have made the payments to my dealer (Delauto of Kawasaki) who is supposed to get the car from the rather reluctant seller this week. I am waiting this very moment to get confirmation of actual purchase.
One thing I was worried about was the authenticity of the GTC (see my posting to the thread 'GTC roster'): I've told the dealer not to pay over the funds if it is not genuine.
Hence, please wait a bit longer for details and pics. May be my question on the engine variation was a little pre-mature given the pending purchase but I hope you don't mind, as the dealer told me that the seller has agreed to sell, and we started talking about how to restore the car.
Next time I write, I hope to be able to confirm the good news.
Tiger: when you are back, please give me a call (will send PM). I have one copy of SoloAlfa dated Jan 15 2005 but could not find the articles. I will go to Lindbergh to find out.
John: As far as I researched, there are 3 GTCs in Japan (pls refer to the thread 'GTC roster'). I don't know the history too well but it is currently held by an individual whose hobby is restoration. I first saw a GTC on the Classic Garage (Saitama) website, went to see the car and fell in love with it (my wife too). CG was asking for an hefy price, so I consulted Delauto, who found this GTC for me lying in a garage waiting for restoration for many years.

Best regards.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi.
Got the GTC I was after this week. As you can see, needs a lot of work but should be ready next Spring. Apparently a lot of original features left, including the engine. Due to be dark silver with red interior and a black hood.
If anyone knows of how to get the GTC emblem on the trunk, be great to know.
Hiro

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts