Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted the Centerline electronic distributor to a 1300 motor? I have a 71 1300 Super (Stock motor, Weber DCOE's) and my stock Marelli dizzy seems to be on the weak side. I've called Centerline and they do not know if it will work for the 1300.

Anyone using one please let me know what you think?

Thanks!
Andy

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Has anyone fitted the Centerline electronic distributor to a 1300 motor? I have a 71 1300 Super (Stock motor, Weber DCOE's) and my stock Marelli dizzy seems to be on the weak side. I've called Centerline and they do not know if it will work for the 1300.
1300 motors have more advance which is probably why they couldn't tell you for sure if their distributor would work. In any event, it's not that difficult to have a distributor recurved if need be.

Are you sure you have a Marelli distributor and not a Bosch? My '72 Super came stock with a Bosch and your car probably was equipped similarly. It's possible you have a Marelli distributor from a later 2.0 liter car. If that's the case then its advance curve probably isn't right for your car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks jim! i am not sure if its bosch or marelli to be honest. i will check for sure. my 71 is an italian market car. i had a 68 912 that had a shot distributor, when i replaced it, it was night and day. ofcourse i am somewhat spoiled by my 2L in my GTV. so i have a hard time gauging if its normal for it to take a while to get up to speed, unlike my 2L. otherwise i can keep up with traffic on the fwy etc, its just kinda luggy (for a lack of a better word) around town.

are you running pertronix or something similar? i also have a marelli plex in my parts box but have never installed it. probably has the wrong curve as well, correct?

thanks for all your help!
andy

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
thanks jim! i am not sure if its bosch or marelli to be honest. i will check for sure. my 71 is an italian market car.
Well, the first thing to do is put a timing light on the motor and see if the distributor is advancing far enough. You can tell a lot that way and you may just need to adjust the timing.

My car is very analog, something I like, and still has its points. I plan to install a Hot Spark (similar but cheaper than Pertronix) breakerless trigger on my stock Bosch distributor sometime this summer. I was going to install a MarelliPlex but discovered that the advance curve isn't suitable to a 1.3 motor. Since my Bosch distributor works well, I'll just put in a Hot Spark and use it until I have my 2 liter ready.

In my estimation, the MarelliPlex distributors are about as good as you can get. They're very well made, mechanically reliable, and have solid highest quality electronics. They use, for instance, a common GM trigger which can be bought anywhere for about $10. Also, the pickup inside the distributor can still be purchased for a quite reasonable price.

If your distributor is shot, I'd have the MarelliPlex recurved for your 1300 and use it over just about anything else. MarelliPlexes are hard to find so don't sell yours. :)

·
Premium Member
14,805 Posts
the 123ignition distributor that is sold by IAP and others has a bunch of selectable, digital advance curves including the standard 1300 curves. No balance weights, no springs, no points.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks jim! yeah i will check the timing. i just looked and i think you are right, its a bosch not marelli!

The car needs a good tune up, new plugs, new wires, check the timing, maybe some sort of pertronix and will probably put it on a dyno and have the carbs tuned a bit. It runs great but it still needs some tweaking.

Thanks again for the info!

Well, the first thing to do is put a timing light on the motor and see if the distributor is advancing far enough. You can tell a lot that way and you may just need to adjust the timing.

My car is very analog, something I like, and still has its points. I plan to install a Hot Spark (similar but cheaper than Pertronix) breakerless trigger on my stock Bosch distributor sometime this summer. I was going to install a MarelliPlex but discovered that the advance curve isn't suitable to a 1.3 motor. Since my Bosch distributor works well, I'll just put in a Hot Spark and use it until I have my 2 liter ready.

In my estimation, the MarelliPlex distributors are about as good as you can get. They're very well made, mechanically reliable, and have solid highest quality electronics. They use, for instance, a common GM trigger which can be bought anywhere for about $10. Also, the pickup inside the distributor can still be purchased for a quite reasonable price.

If your distributor is shot, I'd have the MarelliPlex recurved for your 1300 and use it over just about anything else. MarelliPlexes are hard to find so don't sell yours. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will check it out, thank you!

the 123ignition distributor that is sold by IAP and others has a bunch of selectable, digital advance curves including the standard 1300 curves. No balance weights, no springs, no points.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
The car needs a good tune up, new plugs, new wires, check the timing, maybe some sort of pertronix and will probably put it on a dyno and have the carbs tuned a bit. It runs great but it still needs some tweaking.
It's surprising what a good ture-up will do. These are old cars and respond well to just this kind of work. A suggestion: forget the dyno. The most you need to do is just make sure everything is set to standard and working as it should (ign and carbs). Alfa really did their homework on these cars---especially the carbs---and, once you get everything set up the right way, you'll be surprised at how nice the car is. My Super has the same engine as yours, is absolutely stock, and is a pure delight to drive.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Jim! My carbs are DCOE40 with a 28 jet pack, is that whats on your 1300? Are you running stock jetting?

It's surprising what a good ture-up will do. These are old cars and respond well to just this kind of work. A suggestion: forget the dyno. The most you need to do is just make sure everything is set to standard and working as it should (ign and carbs). Alfa really did their homework on these cars---especially the carbs---and, once you get everything set up the right way, you'll be surprised at how nice the car is. My Super has the same engine as yours, is absolutely stock, and is a pure delight to drive.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Centerline has timing specifications for various Alfa models. The Super has a relatively mild advance curve i.e, 2/4 BTDC @ "F" and 40/43 @ "M". The first thing you should do is put an adjustable timing light on your motor and make sure your advance curve matches this.

Centerline also has specs for the DCOE/28 which is stock for 1300 Supers. You can get to those by downloading their pdf. file catalogue. It's hard to improve on stock setting when everything else is stock. Someone may have messed with what you have in the past so it's a good idea to look at what's in the carbs. Also, if they're been sitting for awhile, it wouldn't hurt to do a rebuild on the carb. Good luck. Keep us posted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts