Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd be interested in anyones guess on the value of a rusty 1300 junior?

sills, lower front guards and doors have rust holes. on the upside, the go fast stickers look pretty good!

don't know much of the cars history but it's an english import.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
On the AROCA forum someone mentions it has ran the Targa Tasmania and knows the PO so it may have some goodies on it. Hard to say without an underbody shot. How do you know its an english import? Did you send the chassis number off to the Alfa Archives?

·
Registered
7 Posts
On the AROCA forum someone mentions it has ran the Targa Tasmania and knows the PO so it may have some goodies on it. Hard to say without an underbody shot. How do you know its an english import? Did you send the chassis number off to the Alfa Archives?
I did send off to the alfa archive - car sold to Alfa London in 1970.
The Biege Cava colour is original. The original trim isn't with the car.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
mmm - tasty salt on that body work. Hopefully it wasn't raced hard.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
up to $6100 with a day to go - something fishy going on or are decent donor cars at this level now?
Have you personally inspected it? It's a bit rough to call it a donor car if you haven't. Ask Pancho, if the shell isn't too shabby, for a stepfront it is definitely worth it. Problem is knowing what is under the paint...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
ah yes, and here is the dilemma. Best off always taking to the body with a magnet. Even though it has been a race car that doesnt mean it has been in any serious benders but buyer beware I guess.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you personally inspected it? It's a bit rough to call it a donor car if you haven't. Ask Pancho, if the shell isn't too shabby, for a stepfront it is definitely worth it. Problem is knowing what is under the paint...
you're right, shouldn't call it a donor car. i had a look and thought it was a good start. sills and doors have rust holes but the rest of the body looked ok. not much interior left, bumpers missing, grill heart split. doors may have been replaced (2000 trim fitted) figured it would sell for 5k or there abouts. no key so couldn't start it - who knows mechanically but would guess it runs.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Bidding looks a little sus with two very new ebay account bidders going hammer and tong. Good luck to the buyer.

e***o( 1 ) AU $6,100.00 22-Feb-12 15:18:23 AEDST
Member Id: e***o( 1 ) AU $6,100.00 22-Feb-12 15:18:00 AEDST
Member Id: g***z( 0 ) AU $6,000.00 21-Feb-12 22:25:02 AEDST
Member Id: e***o( 1 ) AU $6,000.00 22-Feb-12 15:17:37 AEDST
Member Id: e***o( 1 ) AU $4,900.00 20-Feb-12 09:33:40 AEDST
Member Id: g***z( 0 ) AU $4,650.00 21-Feb-12 22:24:46 AEDST
Member Id: g***z( 0 ) AU $4,500.00 21-Feb-12 22:24:30 AEDST
Member Id: e***e( 128) AU $4,200.00 14-Feb-12 13:25:13 AEDST
Member Id: e***o( 1 ) AU $4,100.00 20-Feb-12 09:33:24 AEDST
Member Id: e***o( 1 ) AU $3,750.00 20-Feb-12 09:33:04 AEDST

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
now that does look sus!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Not sure i see it as being suss, but rather perhaps a couple of bidders trying to out bid each other to get the upper hand. Basically guys as we all know, stepfronts in any sort of condition these days seem to be getting really thin on the ground, and especially when for sale below $10K.

As I have mentioned before I know of one down here at my Alfa mechanics which has been sitting for many years, is an ex Targa car (quite successful) is basically straight and unrusty but mostly stripped of all its mechanicals, glass and much trim. From talking with my mechanic and a mate of the guy who owns it he is well aware of its intrinsic value and suggests that even as a stripped shell it would be unlikely to be for sale for less than around $3-4K. Makes my 1750 GTV look pretty good in comparison as per value given it is complete albeit needing restoration. Mind you I still would love a stepnose.

IMHO any stepnose so long as it is not totally rooted is probably worth grabbing hold of these days.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
The bit i get cautious of is when the competing bidders have 0 or no feedback. Not implying the Seller at all, but the low-feedbackers are more likely to renege on a deal. I still personally think this car could be worth it.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
ah, good point Derek, I hadn't thought about the 0 feedback angle. The only point I would make in this respect though is that all ebayers will start with 0 feedback originally and that in itself shouldn't really be a concern, but yes if the two bidders both have 0, yep perhaps that is something odd.

I agree, the car to my thinking looks like it could be ok, who knows without seeing it first hand.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Very interesting (but mostly wrong) discussions going on about this car.
As the new owner I'm happy to provide the facts is anyone is interested.
Sam

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I'm sure many of us would love to hear about it! Congrats on the purchase. Any goodies still left in the running gear? Is the body pretty straight?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm actually pretty happy with it.

Compared to the 116 GTV I’m restoring, it’s almost immaculate !!!

There are no Rust holes as such – rather they are 10 to 20mm bubbles
Yes it’s probably the tip of the iceberg, but until I get around to stripping it will be hard to tell the true extent.

Someone on this thread suggested this is only good as a donor car … I really don’t know what to say to that :confused: The first Step Nose that I bought in 1979 was 12 years old at the time had more visible rust than this one. So for the money I think this one is ok.

Anyway the car is a 1970 model so it’s the last of the Step Nose front cars and as such has the newer dashboard (1970 onward style) found on 1750s and later models. It also has the ATE brakes and suspension changes that came on the last model run. (see Wikipedia)

I don’t know about the England delivery, salt and other remarks people have made. I’ll do more research to validate these or otherwise.

Matt Philips has prepared cars for various people including Peter Brock. He was the car’s owner before the last one.

I called him and got a lot of information about the car. I hope to catch up with him over a beer or coffee or whatever he drinks to get more info soon.

While he was the owner he said it was never bent.

I'm not sure if he sold it to the very last owner but I dont think this car has been on the road for quite a few years .
I can see that the paint is fairly old there are no signs of recent fresh paint or repairs, so I doubt it’s been bent by anyone at least since Matt's time.

Anyway according to Matt

1) Car was prepared for classic Adelaide and ran a few of those in the late 80’s / Early 90’s It also ran in 2 or 3 Targa Tassies - sometime up to late 90s
2) As part of the preparation all the rust was removed from the floor
3) Some minor rust bubbles in the sills were ignored as it didn’t stop scrutineering at the time and didn’t really bother him.
4) All seats & carpets were removed, racing seats were installed in the front (no rear seat)
5) Door cards front and back, dashboard etc are original for the 1970 step nose
6) Dashboard has one small crack 20cm long from air vent towards windshield
7) Roll bars are ‘bolt in’ 6 point type
8) The engine cost Matt $5000.00 to build at the time, not sure if he did it himself or outsourced.
9) Has forged pistons (dunno about con rods, balancing or extent of other work yet )
10) 2x45mm Dellortos, with (40?mm) spacers on the manifold and 90(?)mm bent trumpets. (cant remember the exact lengths)
11) Not sure about the suspension , despite a big sway bar and some fancy coloured springs, it seems too soft when I push on it. Not sure what the shockers are like
12) Matt installed an LSD and also a 2ltr Gearbox.

Visually the car seems as Matt describes it, 45mm carbs etc .. but without cracking open the diff or Engine I really can’t tell if someone have pilfered it for parts over the years although the engine and gear box dont look like a spanners been near in quite a while.

Anyway for now that’s all I can say about it.

Once I meet Matt in person and get the rest of the information I’ll post it here.

BTW

As far as the dodgy Auction goes ...

the winning bidder turned out to be the previous owner.

He was trying to raise the price because the storage place has to pay him the difference between what he owns them and what the car makes.

When eBay found out , his bids were nullified and I was given the second chance offer which was about a grand less than what it got to at auction.

so for the money - I reckon I could have done a lot worse ...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just a small correction Re: Rust.

The Passenger side Sill and bottom section of mud guard is has rust coming through more than the drivers (which is just bubbling).

Before buying this one I looked at another advertised on Carpoint.com or Carsales.Com (whatever its called).

That one almost had no floor and there wasn't a panel that didn't have major rust - sure it was a 1600 junior sprint, but he wanted $12K for it.

I also found a white S1 1750 in Brunswick, again heaps of rust, interior was knackered and they wanted $6500.

There was a fellow in Tullamarine who had a few 1750 & 2000 but again they were all around 12K to 14K and they were no better then this one. :)

For a 42yo car that hasn't been restored, I doubt you will find one without any rust

1 - 20 of 27 Posts