Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Ok some progress on the gearbox now, I have stripped the main shaft and cleaned all the parts.
After cleaning and on close inspection I noticed some wear on the 1st and 2nd gear synchro rings. How can this be classified, little, moderate or severe wear?
All other synchro rings showed similair dull even wear pattern to 5th gear without shiny area's so I will leave those in. All dog teeth are still nice and fresh looking.
I already have some new Goetze yellow striped synchro rings for 1st and 2nd gear, but I can really use some advise on replacing the 1-2 synchro sleeve as well, based on the wear on the synchro rings shown in the picture.
Any advice on swapping 5th synchro to 3rd gear is appreciated?

BTW My car is from 1970, castings on the gearbox show it to be '76 and car has been standing still from 1998 so I expect the gearbox not to be used extensively.

From left to right 3rd, 2nd and first gear

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Replaced Syncho's 1,2 and 3
Synchro 1 converted to dual acting, so hopefully no grinding from Neutral to first gear :thumbs:

Box Box Box

After weeks of metal working and prepping, finally the first coat of spray filler is on!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Did you have to use a press to put the gearbox back together again... What kind?

Sent from my F8332 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Yes I did use a 30T press, but have not used much force at all. Several tons the most to check all was mated propperly.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Ok, project ITB's...
Let the ***** breathe!

I can still decide to install the ITB's regularly or upside down for a cleaner looking install :001_unsure:

61 - 80 of 110 Posts