Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 1300 blocks which I blew up during my racing days. Both have holes in one side and shrapnel damage to the webbing around the bearing saddles. I put them in storage thinking that the day would come when it would be worth having them repaired. Well, the day has come when I need the space and something has to go.

I is not my opinion that they are worth fixing. I'd have to find someone competent to do the repair then, most likely, they would require alignboring. All in all it sounds like an expensive proposition.

Can anyone venture an opinion either pro or con?

·
Super Moderator
12,033 Posts
This is done with vintage Ferrari blocks more and more. It is only worth while if the block serial number or features make the block special in some way. For example, a GTA block,TZ block or other racing block that is original to a particular car. If the block has race preparation money invested, and duplicating this work would be costly, or any one of a whole lot of other reasons.
If pieces blown out are saved, or a similar REALLY junk block can be carved up for missing pieces to weld back together, the job is easier. The entire stripped block is pre-heated, VERY hot, and then welded under an inert gas to preclude bubbles or porosity.
The external weld is cosmetic, and will be ground flush, then the surface media blasted with specific grit media to replicate the original cast finish. Internally, the welds are for strength, and not finished. The assembly is cooled slowly, usually in an oven, over some time to relieve stresses. The crank journals are recut with caps, and the deck and pan lip surface milled parallel to the crank center. Some then "freeze" the block in liquid nitrogen for another 24 hours to further relieve stresses, but this is of questionable value. You then have a block that appears as original externally, and will function as well as it once did.
I have done this with a 101 1600 Veloce 2 piece sump that was blown into three pieces. The sump was free. By the time I finished restoration, it appeared as new, and I had invested about $1500, the same as a good used sump might have cost. It did however, salvage a rare and expensive sump that was headed to the recycler.
From my experience.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Lots of good information in your reply. I had a 1300 block repaired years ago by a guy who was a Navy welder by trade. He sumerged the block in water while doing the welding. Simple method but times change.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I think the short answer is "no".....

·
Premium Member
22,391 Posts
Norman Racing in Berkeley does this kind of repair regularly. Hard to say without seeing them whether it's economical on a four-cylinder Alfa. On a Bugatti or Duesenberg, most likely yes. If they're run of the mill 1300 Normales or Juniors, probably not. If Veloces with valuable engine numbers and famous/useful machining done, maybe. Probably have to talk in person to whoever would do the work to see if it's worthwhile.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The block numbers are:

AR00106 00845
AR1315 32551

If someone in Northern California wants to undertake having repairs made I will give them away. Provided, of course, that the exchange could be made reasonably close by. Perhaps in Sacramento. Otherwise, they are headed to the big smelter in the sky the first part of August.

·
Premium Member
22,391 Posts
First looks like an early 101 Veloce block, 59/60. It's a couple hundred early than my Spider, built Sept 1960.
Other looks like a pretty late 750 Veloce block, mid 1959 before the changeover?
Andrew

·
Super Moderator
12,033 Posts
Both these blocks may have value to a car owner that needs one that is the correct vintage for his car. As you know Alfa engine swaps are unusually common on the older cars.
Try selling them by number and year on the BB, with photo's of the damage, and let the owners of the car's that need them decide if they want to shoulder the repair costs. Minty 60 Spider Veloce's bring a good price. MORE with a correct block. 750's more so. You will not get much for these "junque" blocks, but may make some owners quite happy.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll take some pictures and post them(I've never done that before so it will be a learning experience)later today.

·
Super Moderator
12,033 Posts
Worse case, Cleaned up, they make good table bases with a glass top. You get plenty of questions. I had a 250 Ferrari block table for many years. It had a big hole and part of a main was gone. This was a plane Jane, nothing special, 250 block that was given me for free. Though it did not match his car, a Ferrari owner bought it from me for MONEY to replace the 283 Chevy in his nicely restored, again, plane Jane 250. He spent the money to fix it correctly, and today, his nothing special 250 is worth more than his home!

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ha, yes, I've had the same thought but have been brought back to reality by a 'you are going to do what?' comment from my wife.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a folder with pictures of both. Problem is, I can't make the attachment button work. Can I send them direct to you or can you tell me what I may be doing wrong. I'm new to ABB and haven't found my way around yet.

·
Super Moderator
12,033 Posts
Send them to me and I'll post them for you <[email protected]>. I'm NOT computer dexterous. My son shows me how to do this stuff. Another GREAT computer guy who got me into BB photo's is Patrick Hung, here on the BB. He can teach you. Search the names for "Pathung" That's him, then send him a PM (Private message). Explain your difficulty and he will instruct. It's not too hard.
With your pictures, show the blown out area's from inside and out, and include full block serial numbers.
{Pat used to post for me!}

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The pictures show exactly what you specify plus I found an old weld on the 750 block so I took a picture of that also. I'll poke around a little more trying to post the pictures. I should be able to figure out how to do it. Patrick is the current president of the AFA I belong to. We are leaving for a 5 day trip on Thursday so if I can't post the pictures by Wednesday afternoon I will email them to you.

·
Super Moderator
12,033 Posts
There you go! Expert computer help. These blocks are not recycle scrap. I do not need them but others that do not pick them up if needed may regret it later. Lots of us older guys are were hoarders, and are now very happy we saved stuff! Just ask my customers.
" Where did you find that??!" Lot's of the good stuff saved over the years.I'm always happy to help, as Pat can tell you, I love these cars!

·
Premium Member
22,391 Posts
If you could please send me pics, I'm close enough to actually consider coming and getting them, about 140 miles from me to you. And/or I have a remote co-worker in Grass Valley who could pick up.
Email to andrew dot watry at lexisnexis dot com if you could. Thanks a lot.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Andrew, I will send the pictures later today. I have to repair my wife's automatic garden watering system before we can take our trip. We are leaving tomorrow AM and will not be back until Monday.

Gordon, yes I am an amasser not a collector. I've finally realized that I will never use a lot of the stuff I've accumulated over the years and that there are people out there who need it. I just shipped a spare time retainer and bolt to a buyer in Ohio. I hope that Andrew wants the two blocks. I just can't bear to throw away something that might be useful. If they are too far gone for him to take then I'll try posting the pictures on ABB.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts