Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Here is an interesting problem... after sitting for over a year, our '86 Veloce would not start with a 'no spark' problem (already replaced both fuel pumps and added some new fuel). I traced the problem to essentially no voltage at + side of the coil. What makes it interesting is that I confirmed a good connection at the fuse block. This car has two wires coming from the hot side of fuse 7 (one red one for switched dash accessories with in-line fuses), I can use that side of the pigtail to jump power to the coil and she fired right up. (Actually, she only fires up for 2-3 seconds, but one problem at a time!). Thanks to papajam I have great wiring diagrams, and from these as well as a scan of reality, it appears that the 12V green/black wire supplying the coil is a continuous run from the fuse block (hot side of fuse 7) to the coil. I have scanned the harness and wire run as much as possible and there do not appear to have any breaks or even abrasions. The wire seems to have just become discontinuous with no reason. Any thoughts or ideas? Of course I could run a new wire to solve the problem but would prefer not to if there is something I am missing and the original wire can be used.

Thanks!
Doug

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hello Doug,

I had a similar problem and discovered that the wire connector at the fuse block was bad. The wire had broken loose from the connector but was hidden under the insulation of the crimped connector. You might check this or just crimp on a new connector at the fuse block. Good luck, this one drove me nuts.

Peter
1980 Spider

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Peter,

I'll double check this but pretty sure this is not the issue. I can actually see the wire fully connected to the female spade connector, so if there is a break it would need to be in the wire insulation past the conector. I suppose it might be possible that the connection is electrically bad while it looks physically good, but it even looks clean and the other wire in the same connector is just fine...

Doug

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
missing 12 volts

It is completely possible for the connection to look good and to not be making any contact.

It is also possible for the wire to break, completely within the insulation.

Do not use the cheapest crimp-on connectors or butt-splices and squish them with a pair of pliers to repair this. Just more trouble down the road. Solder and heat shrink or invest in a reasonable quality crimper and the best connectors you can find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts