Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
12v/24v engine timing/racing tensioner.

For all Busso V6 engines the Racing Timing-Belt Tensioners are available now.

For the 164 24V engine, for the newer 24V Generation (156/166etc) and for of course the 12V Busso all models. Including the bolts and oil Plugs needed.

The bearing can be changed easy if needed, all other Parts are for life.

Much more refined tensioner vs anything else available including OE, styles. Initial cost is much higher but over all inexpensive bearing replacement and tensioner is for life.

LINK: 12v/24v engine timing racing tensioner

Attachments

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
i am all in favor of new parts that fit our cars. How does this mount on the engine?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
How is enough initial leverage applied to the tensioner to properly set the belt tension? With the 3/8" drive square alone? And how is it secured, with the clamp nut and washer? I do like the modern collared roller and snap ring retainer.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Yep, that is an excellent question of how to apply the Alfa tool for setting the tension. The factory tool uses a round tube with two extensions to engage the bearing. We will just have to wait and see how this works out.

·
Premium Member
9,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
This is a fixed tensioner? In effect a idler bearing that's pushed across to tighten the belt?
Mounts to block using the factory bolt locations for the OEM tensioner. Yes they are fixed but one is eccentric if you look closely. Much better design than anything else out there. Inexpensive bearing that can be easily replaced. Fits both 12v and 24V engines.

Factory tool is not being used for obvious reasons, not the same tensioner, bearing etc as OEM.

Since it is fixed, you install tensioner very similar to 12v mechanical OEM. Use the notch to force into belt, then tighten down, check belt tension after 2-4 rotations, of all good, you are done.

Pulley's are high quality 7075 Aluminum and hard anodized.

No more rear cam skipping on 24V engines.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Jason, that looks like maybe a nylok nut with washer clamping down the tensioner. Right? Hope so... can't afford any slippage at that point.

·
Premium Member
9,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jason, that looks like maybe a nylok nut with washer clamping down the tensioner. Right? Hope so... can't afford any slippage at that point.
Yes.

Tensioner bolts up to existing tensioner locations on motor. Uses lower bolt/nut to adjust tension.

Reactions: alfaloco

·
Registered
976 Posts
Not being critical but this tensioner has no dampening effect. No compensation for expansion ect. Just interested how that’s going to work.

·
Premium Member
9,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not being critical but this tensioner has no dampening effect. No compensation for expansion ect. Just interested how that’s going to work.
Very well. If you feel the need you can check tension every 10-15k miles. When tension on belt set properly, there are no issues.
Many have already bored out hydraulic tensioner for a fixed by adding a bolt to adjust tension. I think one of the biggest problems with these engines skipping is the compensation for expansion and tensioner setup.

If the engine below can use it on the track, a daily driver could with no issues and more security that the timing won't be thrown off.

Reactions: alfaloco

·
Registered
976 Posts
Sorry if I am confused but a blocked hydraulic de-tensioner is not the same as a hard set bearing as a tensioner. Again I’m not knocking your product I’m just trying to understand how it will work. Every tensioner I know has some kind of spring dampening.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts