Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've replaced the Marrelli Plex distributor and module on my Giulia Sprint GT with a 123Ignition distributor.

I have selected curve A and have a MEC723 coil with a primary resistance over one.

I set the static timing according to the instructions and replaced the spark plugs.

The car initially started fairly easily and seemed to be running well as I warmed the motor up. Then it just stopped for no apparent reason and wouldn't re-start.

After checking that there was petrol in the tank and that it was getting to the carbutettors, It occurred to me that it might have floodded so took the cover off the air intake chamber. It was pretty wet inside so I left it to dry out.

I have since tried to re-start the car several times (after slow charging the battery) and nothing.

There is a good spark coming from alll the leads but the enging is not firing at all and there is a fair bit of backfiring happening through the exhast and perhapse some spitting back through the carburettors.

The spark plug leads are definitely in the right order 1,3,4,2 clockwise and the rotor button is pointing to No.1 when the static timing mark is aligned.

The car was running reasonably well with the Marrelli Plex, except for some pinging, and as I said it initally seemed to be running well with the 123Ignition.

I'm am at a complete loss as to what the problem could be.

Can anyone suggest anything?

·
Registered
255 Posts
You will need to check the ignition timing, the green lamp in 123 is only for start up.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Sounds very much as if the timing has moved if the engine started up well. I would re-set the timing on the green light but also perhaps set the 123 to setting 5 for a Giulia Sprint. Use a timing light to set the ignition dynamically.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Opps, rookie mistake, the distributor was 180 degrees out. Must have pulled it out at some stage and put it back in wrong. Still learning, again and again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts