Alfa Romeo Forums banner

81 - 100 of 526 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Curve #1, the Bosch 045 should be good for you. It was was used for European 2L motors and it is a good all round curve.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Purchased the Tune version

I watched the videos they have on YouTube going over the whole system for the Tune version and played with the software a little - it looks awesome.

So I went ahead and purchased the Tune version and am looking forward to experimenting with it.

Does anyone know what the details are for the #E and #D curves in the standard 123\ALFA-4-R distributor?

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
You may have to search a bit to find it but there is a post that details everyone of the curves. I may have a print-out of it somewhere.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
There is a post that consists of tables of spark advance vs rpm. The graph that you reproduced looks like one of mine that I constructed from the tables.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yay, thank you so much!

And just to add to the collection of information, attached is an XML file for the 123 Tune Software which represents the #1 curve for the 2L engine. I had to rename it to a .txt file to attach - but just change it back to .xml and load it in.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is anyone running a curve in a fast road /track car that is significantly different from those in the charts above? I'm using the curve below and would be interested in the experience of others especially if they have been able to set best curve from running on a dyno. Thanks, John
Revs Advance
500 20
1000 20
1600 24
2400 28
3000 32
4200 34
5100 38

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I have a 123 in my 71 and it is a big improvement over my worn-out? Marelli. However it's the older version where the curves are chosen by removing a plug -in the bottom- of the distributor, and then rotating a switch. This means that you have to pull the distributor to change the curve. No a big deal once you've chosen the right curve and decided to stay with it. Still, if you like to play, and I do, I think I'd recommend the newer model with the USB port -in the side- where it's accessible.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm finally getting to experiment with my 123-Tune distributor.

I have set the curve via the software to be the same as the stock Marelli.

First question is whether the static timing should be done to the P or F mark?

The shop manual I have makes it sound like you get the engine to P for compression on #1 and then roll it back to F to set the static timing. Is it the same for the 123?

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I don't know about the tunable one, but with the original 123 you mark the crankshaft pulley for the static timing of the curve that you are using. turn the crankshaft until the pointer is at your static mark. Connect 12 v to the red wire and turn the distributor counter clockwise until the LED just turns on.

In my experience, the Bosch ...045 curve is a good one for most applications.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Does anyone know the details for the "fast road curve" Alfaholics pre-loads in the 123Tune distributors they sell?

Oh, and in response to my question above about the static timing - I ended up setting mine to be right at TDC. That way I can switch betwen various curves by just setting their base value at whatever their static timing is supposed to be. Its awesome to be able to just switch things up with the software and not have to re-adjust the physical static timing at all!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can someone please post the numbers (rpm-advance) to enter into the 123TUNE software for Curve D "006 tuning". Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
It is flat from zero to 1000 rpm. it then increase linearly to give 21 degrees at 4000 rpm.
2000 rpm = 7.1 degrees
2500 = 10.6
3000 = 14.1
3500 = 17.6
4000 = 21

Add say 14 degrees of static timing to these numbers and you have 35 degrees max advance.

Is this what you need?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you for the info alfaparticle. Would I be correct then to entire this curve into a tunable 123 as follows:
500-14
1000-14
2000-21.1
2500-24.6
3000-28.1
3500-31.6
4000-35

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
That is correct.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I installed the MSD 6AL because I wanted to be able to fire a low impedance, high energy coil. The 123 requires that the primary coli resistance be at least 1 ohm and all the high energy coils that I know of are less than that. I have found that it is easier to get Webers to run cleanly, without flat spots, if I have a big spark and that is the reason for the low impedance coil. The added benefit for me came when my motor started to burn a lot of oil and foul the plugs. I was able to open up the plug gaps to .055" and that helped a lot.

Now I have a new clean engine and I have closed the plug gaps to .045".

·
Premium Member
14,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #100 (Edited)
You might find this thread from a couple of years ago interesting.
I have talked to several people who have found that Alfa's run best with the most advance at mid range then falling back a little at higher rpm. The 123tune allows you to do that but how much do you use? You will need plenty of dyno time or someone who has done it to share the knowledge. Maybe the guys in this thread had that information.

Perhaps one of you guys who have bought the Alfaholics version will check the packaged advance curve with a strobe and tell us about it.

81 - 100 of 526 Posts