Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
If you had used the "D" curve on the basic 123 then you would have had 11 degrees at idle which might have required you to back off the throttle stop a little.

I assume that 125 is calculated flywheel HP, which is still very good for a road car - 15 more than a 1300 GTA Jr.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Bluetooth version doesn't have a 2nd curve possibility, but USB-version has.

125hp with a real 1300cc non-GTA and only 'slightly' modified? I'd only believe with my own eyes. And would love to check the calibration of the Dyno.

No one should go unprepared to a dyno test session. Or pay the bill for hours lost. If fitting a new item, it has be done before the session and one needs to be used to that item instead of blaming the instruction. You want to play with Pro tools, be prepread like a Pro.

My opinion only.

·
Registered
249 Posts
its at the flywheel not wheels.

minor mods =
10.5 compression
extensive head work
larger valves
10548 cam
GTA style trumpets

other mods as well, but they dont help hp so not significant to list.

I had a 1.5 hour drive to the dyno, so didnt want to fit it before hand, unknown what curve it might or might not have. so elected for the safer version of fitting it there.

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
What transmission loss did you assume when you converted RWHP to crankshaft HP? The conservative number is 15% but 20% is good if you want to boost the number.
Here in the USA some dynos such as Dyno-mite have a reputation for giving conservative HP numbers and others such as dynojet are known for giving bigger numbers. Also dyno operators have the means to fudge the numbers. One problem is that many dyno's are owned by businesses that build special motors and it is good for them if the dyno is generous. I am fortunate in that I have friend who owns a dyno for his own use (he is a surgeon) and he has no interest in artificially boosted numbers.
A few years ago a guy over here bought a race motor from Alfaholics in the UK with a stated HP output but it made considerably less on a dyno over here. I think that it was Mike Besic's dyno. I know that Jim Steck does countless runs on his own engine dyno before he delivers a customer engine and then the car might go on Mike's dyno for comparison. It has become a standard of comparison for some of the US Alfa fraternity.

·
Premium Member
13,071 Posts
Both Jim & Mike use the same dyno but the owner`s name I cant remember.
That is a chassis dyno, right? I have seen pictures of Jim's engine dyno.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts