Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2L timing cover on the bench and trying to install a new 123 disti and cannot get it to seat. It stops short of even touching the oil pump shaft.

I noticed there is an additional o-ring that comes on the 123 shaft housing. Do I keep that in place or remove it? That o-ring is the only thing I can think would be causing the bind. Marelli distis, of course, don't have that....they just have the o-ring below the disti clamp (which I have in place as well).

Or maybe one just has to really push hard to get these in because of the 2nd o-ring?

Sort of stumped, so input appreciated. Of all the things that could stop my progress tonight, I didn't think this would be the one.

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
i'd just use the one in the timing cover recess.....lubricate the O ring a bit, but place it in the recess not on the dizzy and slide the dizzy shaft down through the O ring.

if you really want to use both:
oil seal source-distributor

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,535 Posts
I use both o-rings: the one on the shaft and the one on the cover. I think you just need to lube up the shaft o-ring and push down on the distributor a bit. IIRC it took a little force but I don't recall anything excessive.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I had that issue too Crackie. The offender was the seal at the timing cover. I ended up taking the oring off my JF4, and then had no trouble. It was available and I didn't look much beyond that.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK - 5 hours of messing with what should've been a 5 minute job confirms...the standard distributor o-ring for the timing cover available below from Centerline, does not work with the 123 distributor. Or at least not on mine. Like @Dr.G (thanks!) I grabbed my old o-ring, which seems to be square cut or has just conformed to be over many years of use, and with complete ease my 123 Disti seated.

Hopefully this will save someone some hassle later.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
OK - 5 hours of messing with what should've been a 5 minute job confirms...the standard distributor o-ring for the timing cover available below from Centerline, does not work with the 123 distributor. Or at least not on mine. Like @Dr.G (thanks!) I grabbed my old o-ring, which seems to be square cut or has just conformed to be over many years of use, and with complete ease my 123 Disti seated.
Hopefully this will save someone some hassle later.
so you used the old ring in the recess as well as the ring that was fitted to the 123 shaft, correct?

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so you used the old ring in the recess as well as the ring that was fitted to the 123 shaft, correct?
Yep - that is correct. The o-ring that comes already installed on the 123, it turns out, wasn't the issue like I originally thought when I started this thread. As @Gubi mentioned, it is a snug fit getting the 123 Disti shaft down the hole with that lower o-ring there, but nothing that makes you think "huh - something isn't right". And I could get the 123 to seat and mate with the oil pump drive with this lower o-ring on, but without the upper Alfa o-ring at the top of the housing. So, net-net, the 123 Disti o-ring that comes with it on the shaft works fine.

But the standard Alfa o-ring in the slot at the top of timing cover housing where the disti seats to the housing, if you use a new one there (like the one I got from Centerline), your 123 Disti may not seat. Mine didn't despite trying many approaches. Strangely my old Marelli would seat with that new o-ring, no problem. So, ultimately, I took the old o-ring that had been installed before (luckily in reasonable shape) and re-used it. It is not as supple as the new one, but given that I now have 2 o-rings to protect against seepage vs. 1, suspect that will do the job. Doesn't much matter...didn't really have another choice.

I should've measured the diameter at the top of the shaft housing of the 123 vs. the Marelli...didn't think of that until now. But the 123 is in there now and I'm not taking it out. ;-)

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,535 Posts
That's odd. I think I got that upper o-ring from Classic Alfa, and with both o-rings in there mine seated perfectly fine after a bit of a shove. Not sure what to tell you.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah - maybe the Classic Alfa one is different that the one I got from Centerline. Perhaps more square or just not as thick. Good news is that it is easy enough to replace in situ if my old one doesn't cut it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts