Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a 12 volt ac compressor to replace the traditional belt drive unit on an Alfa? I pulled the old York compressor years ago and would like to find an alternative. My 82 GTV6 currently has a 3L and I would have to change oil cooler lines and more to fit a Sanden along with finding adapters and such. There are thousands of cars and trucks on the road with electric ac compressors. I am looking for wiring diagrams and advice.
Thanks
Mike V

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My 12v beltless ac compressor arrives tomorrow. I will post photos and relay my progress. ProAir/Benling DM 18 A7 compressor. I will try to use as much of the original system as possible. Not looking for below zero temps, just a little relief on the way to get IceCream.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Interesting, I’ll be looking to see how this turns out. Imagine you are going to need a significant upgrade in alternator output to drive the system?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did find a starter and alternator rebuild and restoration shop near me in Lansing Michigan. Precision Power Inc. will modify my 1982 Bosch alternator to produce over 100 amps.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Will be interesting to see how this turns out as it would be great to have a 100amp alternator in the stock housing. Will have trouble with heat generation?

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
I'm very interested in this. Please keep us informed as the build goes on. Where are you planning to install this compressor ? Is it quite? Could it be installed in the passenger compartment?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I remember when I was a kid riding in the back of my Dads 1986 3/4 ton suburban which had a separate electric AC in the rear ceiling. That unit would take up all of the back seat of a gtv6 but is almost period correct!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another name for this compressor is Rencool out of Australia. They are doing track car applications under the StreetFX name. The Rencool website has been very helpful. The power to run the compressor is the easy part. I don’t know how to wire in the “control” wiring. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I tend to break, burn, explode, more things than the average person. I’m not afraid to give it a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts