Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried watching this year's Sebring but I only lasted an hour or so. Fox bouncing coverage back-and-forth was a pain, plus I was confused by the new(?) affiliation w/ the US Sportscar 'something-or-other'...what gives? I was a fan of ALMS series, what happened to it? At my age I lose track of all sorts of 'stuff'...

Regards

ps-the Chevy "sweep" @ Sebring was disappointing

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yeah I couldn't follow it either, disappointing coverage. Happy for Bourdais, but was hoping the Ligier of Plas would win.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Tried watching this year's Sebring but I only lasted an hour or so. Fox bouncing coverage back-and-forth was a pain, plus I was confused by the new(?) affiliation w/ the US Sportscar 'something-or-other'...what gives? I was a fan of ALMS series, what happened to it? At my age I lose track of all sorts of 'stuff'...

Regards

ps-the Chevy "sweep" @ Sebring was disappointing
ALMS was bought out by IMSA (in 2013?). P1 category is gone from the combined series.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
ALMS was bought out by IMSA (in 2013?). P1 category is gone from the combined series.
It's a bit worse than that. ALMS was actually bought by "NASCAR," and combined with the Daytona Prototype series known as the Rolex Series. IMSA was "revived" as the sanctioning body. They bought pretty much everything Panoz had owned/created, including Road Atlanta. P1 was eliminated; P2 was combined with the Daytona Prototypes; PC (Prototype Challenge spec class), GTLM (LeMans), and GTD (Daytona) were continued. Part of the problem is the performance difference between the P2 and DP cars - the attempts to equalize the two have not been very successful. Having the two GT classes, with considerably different performance, is confusing, as is having a PC class of cars that look like the P2 cars. On top of all that, everyone is required to use Continental tires, except GTLM - they can use whatever they want, since those cars were developed using other brands of tires, particularly Michelin.

I was a big fan of the ALMS - I liked the cars. I've never been a fan of the DP cars - ugly. But, it's the only sports car racing series we have that's on TV, or FoxSports!/FoxSports2/IMSA.com/FoxSports1. We used to have a great channel in Speed, but Fox and NASCAR screwed that.

Sigh.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
It certainly be more fun to watch if someone would take the challenge of entering a 4C into the series!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm glad to know that it's not just me. I thought maybe I wasn't a "real" enough fan. I'm just happy if I can see races in the US that make left and right turns. At this point all I can keep straight is "prototype", fast GT, and less fast GT. Rolex/Pirelli/GrandAm/World Challenge/Continental/American LeMans/blah-blah-blah is just a big mush in my brain.

Nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts