Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd question, but has anyone here replaced their door window channel lately and the windows go up and down easily? If so, who was your supplier?

Years ago I go tired of my side windows rattling on my '75 Alfetta GT when only open part way. So I got the good green window channel, and the glass was then an extremely tight fit. I need to get channel that will allow the windows to go up and down easily.

The odd part is that the really tight part is when the glass is centered halfway up (or down) - and there is no way to adjust for it there. I'm aware of the adjustment at the bottom of the forward channel section.

Since mine is an early one, it is possible that 'they' still didn't have all of these picky details worked out.

Biba

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
window glass channel

Biba,
I think I used something for a Spider. It slid right into the channel. I put a little emblem adhesieve to keep from sliding up and down with the window.

Now, if only somebody could source the gasket that fits around the door. No not the stuff that fits on the chasis.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Why not remove the channels fatten them with electric tape on the out side and reinstall with less gap, if the channels are not too worn. My 77' still has the felt, they go down on their own. I stuffed cardboard pieces to hold the window up. Only temporary. Bud Morse
77'Alfetta Mario Andretti special

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I got about 7 meters from Chris at Highwood Alfa in the UK for about $60, along with window scrapers and some other odd bits. It's not identical to stock but it fits. Probably worthy your time to explore, as I found his prices, even factoring shipping, to be less that ReOriginals or the other Stateside suppliers.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My concern is not where to buy the window channel, but to know I'm getting - what in essence is- loose fitting channel. Meaning if someone got some channel recently and was disappointed that it was to loose, that's what I want.

When I started this thread the other day my newly installed power window units wouldn't go up (or down). I assumed it was because the motors weren't strong enough. With a bit more experimenting I've found that if I turn on the park lights, they now go up and down. However, they do labor somewhat when the glass is in the middle of being halfway up or down. At this point, as long as they don't leak, if they're extra loose it's okay since the mechanism pretty much holds the glass in place.

What I specifically need is channel which is thin at the bottom of the U section, but holds pretty well on the sides. With the glass loose/unattached, I should be able to move the glass easily up and down. On the other hand if there was a way to adjust the channel 'retainers' at the very top of the rear end unit and a bit on the center of the forward one, I'd be good. I've toyed with the bigger hammer solution but since the metal is cracked on both sides on the outside of both doors where the door's upper section joins the upper rail, I don't want to make it worse. Got that?

Unless I'm missing something, the channel has to be removed by sliding it out from the top - which is easier said than done. And if one needs to remove the side glass, the entire upper rail has to be removed? On the other hand, many years ago I had to have the right door glass replaced and they finished it in a couple of hours (after getting the glass).

Biba

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I probably should also order the side glass rubber seals from Chris (Highwood) at the same time. Boy do they shrink over time.

I did manage to get the passenger side window to go up and down more easily, but it is the last half inch which is the problem. The inside doors really skinny down at the top and the mechanism is jamming against something, but it is a bear to see. Driver's side, not quite as bad, but it grunts when making the last half inch or so.

I sure wish the inside and outside stainless pieces came off easily so I could look down better. I have no idea what the procedure is to get the windwing glass out so the seals can be removed, and finally, so that the stainless pieces can be removed. Ever done it?

Biba

Biba

1 - 7 of 7 Posts