Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1987 Spider that has not been running for 10 years. I was told there was an electrical problem and the prior owner just gave up on it. Behind the radiator overflow tank there are 2 female plugs that seem to be missing something to connect them. I have the service manual but I cannot seem to locate what is missing. I would guess a fuseable link, but I have not seen a picture of what should go there and I can't seem to find any electrical replacement parts.

I would appreciate any help on this

Thanks

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
if one is black and the other is grey, then they will be your flywheel sensor plugs.
your car will not start or run without them connected.
crank sensor plugs.jpg

the sensors are bolted to the bellhousing, near clutch slave cylinder.
flywheel sensor.jpg

they need to be plugged into the correct color plug:
blact to upper / grey to lower
flywheel sensors.JPG

OTOH, if you mean somethng else altogether, please post a photo...saves guessing:)

PS I sent you a color wiring diagram for an 88...that should be almost identical. Check your "Conversations" box.
These diagrams are copyrighted by their creator, Jim Papajam (RIP) please therefore do not publish them online anywhere. Thanks.

If you need help getting the car started etc, pop over to the spider section and start a thread....tons of help there from the spider crowd!
Spider - 105 & 115 Series (1966-1994)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help on this. Here are 2 pictures that shows the empty plugs and its location near the coil.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Ah OK, nothing to do with flywheel sensors, my bad!

I got the rad overflow bottle mixed up with the screen wash bottle, duh...
:)

that is the inline 8A bullet fuse for the VVT (Variable Valve Timer)
like here:
VVT fuse.jpg

those bullet fuse holders are not up to scratch (there is another under the rear shelf near the ECU, also 8A, that is even more troublesome.....for the fuel pumps) so I would just swop them out for modern blade type fuse holders (use a 7,5A or 10A fuse as you can't get 8A in blade)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah OK, nothing to do with flywheel sensors, my bad!

I got the rad overflow bottle mixed up with the screen wash bottle, duh...
:)

that is the inline 8A bullet fuse for the VVT (Variable Valve Timer)
like here:
View attachment 1673206

those bullet fuse holders are not up to scratch (there is another under the rear shelf near the ECU, also 8A, that is even more troublesome.....for the fuel pumps) so I would just swop them out for modern blade type fuse holders (use a 7,5A or 10A fuse as you can't get 8A in blade)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I found that the wires to the VVT were all shorted out with one another and fixed that. And I will put in a blade fuse this weekend. I also found and fixed the fuel pumper and sender was disconnected and replaced it all. Thanks to your help, I think I know now why the computer and the wires are disconnected under the rear shelf. I will fix it all this weekend and hopefully go out for a drive.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts