Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suppose this applies to all auto's w/o A/C.

I believe the shop manual says defogging is possible w/o the use of the A/C unit. Hard for me to tell because my manual is missing some text.

Would like to think defogging can be accomplished without the A/C.
I've had some tough drives in nightime rain trying to defog the windshield.
I usually resort to opening the window vent ( we used to call them nose drafts). But this is a leaky solution that can actually get your feet wet in a heavy rain and is not always 100% effective.

I remember a guy peddling a rub on defogging product for eyeglasses decades ago at a Sears store. Are there products like this that work?

Being a guy who likes to spend time in the river valleys at 3:30 am on summer mornings I subject myself and the car to some challenging deggoing conditions. One 80 degree, who knows how much humidity, 3:30 am trip, with the top down in the Mississsippi River Valley, I had to resort to wiping the windshield with a towel every 20 seconds.

So let's here the best non A/C defogging tactics.

·
Registered
520 Posts
without AC (which is really not supposed to be for defogging, but a tech bulleting suggested that turning on the compressor while running normal defogging would help) both levers should be pushed to the top and the blower fan should be turned on.

the heat is what kills the fogging, or the dryness of AC, but before there was AC as an option (like in my Jeep CJ7s over the years) one used heat.

you will want to allow the vehicle to at least reach temperature on the gauge (so at least 100degrees) before kicking it on....but you should be warming it up anyway except in extreme circumstances (like a childbirth-labor situation, medical emergencies, or running to the store for a condom or forgotten flowers for anniverseries)

·
Registered
19 Posts
i'm a recovering 911 SC owner

Hi, I'm new.

I just sold a 911 (5th one) and due to the deep feeling of loss just bid and won (e-bay, of course) a 77 spider iniczione with 71,000 for 5100.00 (w/out ship). did i blow it? be honest. i'm excited to learn more about alfas....but drank wine while bidding....impulse for sure.

·
Administrator
16,636 Posts
Hi, arconti.

I suggest you start a new thread and tell us the details about your Spider. Include some photos. We likes pictures!

Scroll down the forum's main page to the section about 'Carbs & Fuel Injection'. There are a couple of 'sticky' posts about the SPICA fuel injection system. That is likely some information you'll need about your '77 Inezione.

·
Registered
19 Posts
hhmmm. 5100.00?

spider just won a few hours ago.....i will need to have it shipped. fuel injection/carbs issue for that year eeehhh?? i remeber that with my old VW squarback.....great.....IF problems are minor.....did i do good interms of cost....body looks good, no rust.....m

Hi, arconti.

I suggest you start a new thread and tell us the details about your Spider. Include some photos. We likes pictures!

Scroll down the forum's main page to the section about 'Carbs & Fuel Injection'. There are a couple of 'sticky' posts about the SPICA fuel injection system. That is likely some information you'll need about your '77 Inezione.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Would like to think defogging can be accomplished without the A/C.
So let's here the best non A/C defogging tactics.
I have two Spiders with A/C and one with out, and I have never used the A/C to defog, and you can certainly defog your car without A/C... First, as Guido pointed out, let the car warm-up! While it is warming, look at the angle of the vents and set them properly. It is important also that you look into the vents and note that the slats will actually direct the air in a particular direction. If the slats are not directing the air toward the windshield and the sides, then you won't get anywhere. Once the car has warmed up, raise the leftmost lever all the way to top to direct all the airflow to the vents on top the dash. Then raise the temperature lever so that the air is warm. I use 1/2 to 3/4, but you can go all the way hot if you want. Turn the fan on to the highest setting, and you will see the windshield clear-up without a problem. Take off and soon the whole car will defog, then you can turn the fan down and do the same with the temperature...

Best regards,

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
RainX on the inside of the windsheild helps quite a bit at preventing fog.

As it displaces water and creates a surface too slick for water droplets to stick to, there's little or nothing left on the inside glass to actually fog up.

Oh, not mouth breathing helps quite a bit too :)

If you're really desperate to get on the move and don't have time for a full warmup, set the temp to full cold and the vent to full defrost and the fan on puree'.

This will be chilly for you, but as the air blowing at the inside of the glass is almost the same temperature as the outside air, (after all, it is coming in through the cowl duct), there's nothing to make fog with.

Once the engine comes up to temperature, then you can go for the heated side of things.

·
Registered
520 Posts
remarkably, we had a bit of precipitation yesterday here in southern california. (nearly breaking that perfect 72 and sunny weather) and i found out why so much trouble was gone through to enable a rear-defogger for the hardtop. its a kind of glass like plastic or plastic-like glass, but it fogs and never un-fogs. i mean even after highway driving with windows open. it was unnatural.

wow i really need to get that relay sorted out for my defogger. still working on it.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Slider,
I think you posted this thread a second time by mistake... The same thread, in this same Spider forum, with 8 replies thus far, is also titled "115SSeriesSpide How to Defog without A/C unit?". (Click on the underlined title; it's a link.) Perhaps you should ask a moderator to delete this thread?

Best regards,

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
End Of This Thread

thanks Enrique,
Silly computer kept telling me I wasn't logged in so I relogged in and ended up posting twice.
I advised moderator, hope we can keep Cliffs response.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
I remember a guy peddling a rub on defogging product for eyeglasses decades ago at a Sears store...
I remember that stuff ! I think it was called "Captain Jacks Book Fog" or something like that. Little bitty green plastic container. Lasted for ever. Worked great on my glasses, and on my helmet visor.

I'm with Tifosi for the RainX on the inside as well as on the outside of the windshield. Works for me...

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
used the defroster this morning, 42 degrees out with high humidity. worked fine. car warmed up within 2 miles parked outside all night.
cliff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts