Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 25 years of owning and driving my 106 spider, I finally decided to alter the shape my softtop which I never cared much for . The soft top came with the car and was replaced in early 90's by PO but still looks like new. It is a beautifully crafted top with a liner.

I basically got rid of the "tent" effect by lowering the rear bar by about 2 inches. It now looks much sleeker and more like a rag top than a tent ?

The rear bar is now lower and a bit further back . Incredilbly, top is still tight and my tenax snaps now work perfectly where before they would be difficult to snap.

I know this is not kosher but IMHO I think it looks so much better ?

Thought I would share this with you

Andy

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
10,888 Posts
Now they look like a 102 top.

No headroom left for your rear-seat passengers? 🤪🤪🤪🤪

·
Push hard and live
10,888 Posts
What rear seat passengers? It's Italian, rear seats are for shopping 😉
Precisely.

The whole “2+2” description for the 106 (and a few late 102s) added to the subtle “muscle car” styling cues of the 106, seems to have been a wrong turn for Alfa.

The lower rear of top is a definite improvement.

Reactions: riggs

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Don
I was surpised to see how complex the top and frame are togeather. Lots of screws , glue and fabrics . It must take real know how to make and install these tops.

Fortunatley I did not have to modify much to obtain the desired effect. I wonder if I have a 102 top on a 106 frame , as it my soft top always seemed to tight to snap in place?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts