Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, got my hands on a 3 spoke steering wheel (was advertised as being out of a 1750 GTV) and put it into my GT 1300 Junior. It seems to be different to what I have come across in 1750 GTV's previously. it is not as thick more similar to the original 2 spoke.

Anyone an idea out of what model than might be?

cheers
A

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your replies, I also think it looks good and I like the feel.

The one in the photo of the Giulia Super looks very similar. Does anyone know if Alfa ever sold Giulias in New Zealand or Australia? They definitely sold 1750 and 2000 Berlinas down under but I have no idea what type of steering wheel was fitted to these models.

I do not think mine is made out of wood, the diameter is similar to the original 2 spoke black steering wheel I still have (unfortunately has 2 cracks at 12 and 6 o'clock), there is a 1 cm gap between the steering column and the steering wheel in comparison to the original one.

I noticed 2 small drill holes at 12 and 6 o'clock on the back of the both wheels I own - anyone got similar holes and knows what they are there for?

Cheers
A

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I'm almost certain it's a Berlina wheel, most probably from a 2000.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a way to distinguish a similar Giulia steering wheel from a 1750 or 2000 Berlina one or has Alfa fitted the same type to all three models?

Thanks for all the info, this forum and its members rock!

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Thanks for all your replies, I also think it looks good and I like the feel.

The one in the photo of the Giulia Super looks very similar. Does anyone know if Alfa ever sold Giulias in New Zealand or Australia? They definitely sold 1750 and 2000 Berlinas down under but I have no idea what type of steering wheel was fitted to these models.

I do not think mine is made out of wood, the diameter is similar to the original 2 spoke black steering wheel I still have (unfortunately has 2 cracks at 12 and 6 o'clock), there is a 1 cm gap between the steering column and the steering wheel in comparison to the original one.

I noticed 2 small drill holes at 12 and 6 o'clock on the back of the both wheels I own - anyone got similar holes and knows what they are there for?

Hi Guys

I can only speak for what I have seen first hand and/or read in books/online etc.

However, to answer the question whether or not Giulias were ever imported to Aus and NZ, in the case of Aus absolutely. Approximately 400 odd Giulias of all configurations came into the country from around about '63-64 as TIs through to about 1972. I have a '69 Super, my brother has a 71 1300TI and a '65 TI. I also know of a '72 1300 Super for sale currently here in Tassie. I would be pretty certain they were imported to NZ as I know of cars over there. Richard from Christchurch (Alfavirusnz) who posts here on the BB has a '65TI.

Now as to the steering wheel at question, 1750 GTVs series 1 either came in woodrim Hellebore with the black plastic centre or a black plastic rim wheel. 1750 GTV s2 and 1750 Berlinas also came with a woodrim Hellebore but a wooden centre cap or the black plastic rim/centre cap. 2L Berlinas and Spiders came with a woodrim Hellebore but the horn spokes are different (vertical rather than flatter) and the important difference is that the rim shape is different (squarer) and the 3 spokes are dished.

The wheel in question I would suggest comes off a '69-early 70s Biscione Giulia Super. I have exactly this type of wheel on my '69 and the rim is plastic wood (fake wood). The rim is thinner than the real wood rim Hellebores and yes the diameter is also larger.

Who knows though what happened elsewhere around the world as there could have been other variations to this.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Its most likely off a Giulia Super.

The centre cap is the same as a Giulia type. The Berlina wheel had a matching wooden looking centre.

S1 Berlinas (here in the land of OZ) had black plastic wheel and the S2's had the same as above but with the wooden looking centre cap.

Damo105. the 2000 Berlina wheels were more deeply dished and had the black plastic centre cap (diff to the one pictured).

Cheers,

Paul.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Wheel on right is early Berlina wheel, ( and Guilia etc ) wheel on left is 2000 Berlina wheel, ( also in some 2000 GTV and spider ) I have a number of these, none have markings of any sort, centres do not interchange, I'd like one for the early wheel, they are in aluminium with faux wood although I would take anything that fits.

Attachments

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hi,
I have a number of plastic wheels from Giulia Super/Ti's, including a couple of Hellebore's. Berlina 1750 & 2000 are a much deeper dish than those of the Giulia. In all cases they are interchangeable. I have just taken apart a late Giulia Super and have an unusual wheel. I seems to have a nice (almost wood like) look. If you are interested please pm me.
Jim

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi Alfisti

Does anyone have a steering wheel like this fitted to their car or maybe seen one like this before? It’s apparently a Personal wheel.
B8DDDA81-169C-467D-BA22-D268C6977721.png
2531DAF9-C5A3-4B25-A3BF-6B03F7880C5B.png
E214CA30-FDFC-486D-81BF-EF133D0A3886.png

1 - 18 of 18 Posts