Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just bought a late S2 Spider that I am converting to early S2 cosmetics (bumpers, interior etc.)

I've owned Spiders before and love them - never owned or driven a 105 GT of any type - and I'm trying to figure out what all the hype is about with the 105 GTs. My impression is that both the Spider and the 105 GT use the DOHC Nord engine - shouldn't the Spider with it's lighter weight be the better driver of the two? Nevertheless, it seems most Alfisti grativate to the coupe's over the Spider...is it a tuning issue? Love of GTA clones? Or is there some secret sauce in the 105 GT that is missing in the Spider.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I have a GTJunior and a Duetto Spider
The drive train/suspension on these cars is identical
The chassis on the Spider is slightly longer than the Coupe, the Giulia (4dr) is the longest... we’re talking millimeters

Re gravitas.... my Duetto is getting a nut and bolt, no expense spared resto. The GTJunior (driven daily) will be given away (unloved) on her return.

I’m not sure what all the fuss is about the Bertone coupe either, but hey.. each to their own :)

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I should post this in the 105 GTV forum as well and see how things tilt! :)

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have S3 and S2 Spiders and a Sprint GT. I like all three of them. The coupe has noticeably less chassis flex on rough roads. The fun factor of the Spiders with the top down is hard to beat. Otherwise, not enough difference to comment on.

At current prices, GTVs probably attract owners/collectors at least as interested in investment potential as the car itself. My point is that the "big deal" regarding GTVs over the past five to ten years has been precipitated by folks who buy cars for reasons other than or in addition to function and performance.

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Craig_m67,

PLEASE keep me in mind when the time comes to give your GTJunior away. Regardless of it's condition, or where it is, I will come get it!!!

It will be the only way I will ever have the chance to own one:)

Especially one that's RHD:)

PM sent.

Ray

·
Push hard and live
9,985 Posts
I've owned various Alfas. For the 105/115 group, the coupe is a more rewarding driver. The convertible provides the top-down experience, which I enjoy with my much larger 102, but for handling the coupe is really much more precise. I've heard this is due to the chassis stiffness, which I agree is noticeable from the driver's seat. I've also owned a 115 Berlina, but not a Super. The lighter Super has a top reputation for handling, but the coupe is lower. The Berlina was a nice sedan, but not a sport driver in stock configuration.

Of all my Alfas, the 1965 Sprint GT was the best handling.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Coupe production ended in 1974, Spiders went on for another 20 years. There are just a lot more Spiders out there. "Driver's" car? They are both Alfas, obviously the coupe has a stiffer chassis and in actuality the Spider is not lighter. I've had both, still have the Spider. In my view it's the more fun car. Neither of them are race cars and I don't want a race car. Some people think they want a race car but actually they don't, they just want something that looks like a race car.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
no contest, drivetrains being equal on a stock chassis, 105 coupe hands down. i had a couple of both... coupe has a much sharper chassis and can put down power better

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Some people think they want a race car but actually they don't, they just want something that looks like a race car.
Exactly! Where I live, you can't drive it like a race car for all the traffic. My daily driver is a Genesis. Very aggressive looking. Very fast. But I drive it like a grandma. It is so smooth and quiet.

One reason I like driving the Alfa, is I look good when driving the Alfa. :grin2:

·
Registered
211 Posts
GTV

Ok
I drive a 91 Spider S4 and love it.
In the past, I have owned a few 74 Spiders and GTV's.
Lets put it this way:

If a Spider makes you smile, a GTV will make you grin!

hands down

·
Administrator
12,944 Posts
It about looks or type of car. You either like wind in your hair or you don't ... I don't and think the GT is miles more elegant looking, but maybe if I liked open top cars my views would be different.

Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts