Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a stupid question, but I don't have anything resembling a manual which explains this, only an exploded view of the lower A-arm assembly. Yes, I searched (and searched and searched ...):

How are the "dog bone" end caps removed from the pivoting joints? I hope I don't have to destroy them since they are (according to the parts catalogue) special to the Montreal and no longer available.

Are they just an interference fit? If so, what's the best way to pop them off?

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I used a hammer and a (sharp) chisel, and go side to side to gradually work it out from the arm. If you're carefull you won't damage them to much and can re-use them, but you can get new ones if they aren't salvageable.

I don't see a way of removing them without causing any damage, so they appear to be designed as one use only consumable part.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I removed mine without any damage, get an adjustable pliers the kind you can open up like plumbers use. grab the outer edge of the cap and swing the pliers up/down twice and then with your free hand grab the pliers towards the cap and pull as you move the pliers up/down. Apply enough tension on the pliers so that they don't slip, that should do it.

If you find that you have bent the cap a little then, all you need is to find a pipe the goes inside the cap and then tap a little bit on the out side of the cap with the hammer then paint it.

You may also find a little hole on the edge of the cap, some people including myself put this hole so that when you fill with grease, the air comes out of that hole and some grease. Just remember to make sure that the hole location is on the lowest side so that if water should go in it will run out..

Good luck

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
I wrap the cap in a shop towel and use the plier method as suggested by Rick. It should come off quite easily.

Despite the 105.64 part number, the caps are common to the 105/115 cars from the 1750 on up and are readily available.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips everyone. The caps came off quite easily with the twisting and pulling method. After that the pivot joints came out with a large hammer and a 27 mm socket.

I wonder why Alfa gave the caps a 105.64 part number in 1971 when the caps had been in use for years already. Not that there's a lack of small errors in the parts catalogue though :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
867 Posts
Torw.

If you every find out what the torque setting for the nut in the above picture, please let me know.

Rich

1 - 11 of 11 Posts