Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used those seat covers sold in IAP, Alfaholics etc. for the GTV/Spider? My interior is in tatters and I thought it may be a good alternative than have it re-trimmed by the local upholstery shop.

My questions are:

Does it need to be professionally installed?

Does it look original? Is it as close to how it would look like when the car was new?

Are the materials used on these good quality vinyl?

Any user comments please.

Thanks!

M:)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Marco,

I bought the Alfaholics kit for my previous car - a '72 Spider. I did the installation myself and is was very doable, if a little time consuming. The end result was FANTASTIC - and it looks 100% stock and as good as brand new. The quality of the vinyl was great.

It definitely does not need to be professionally installed. There are a few bits and pieces you need in order to do the work - the most important being hog ring pliers and some hog rings to attach the bottom part of the seat cover to the seat frame. The seat back is easy. You just need contact cement to glue attach the vinyl to the back of the seat back.

When I had the covers off - I used the opportunity to sand down the frames and spray them with some rust-killer / primer / black paint stuff. Leaks and water getting into the frames had caused some corrosion on the seats - particularly the seat bases. So figure some time to do that as well. Something a professional might skip over.

Nick

·
Registered
486 Posts
Marco,

Take a look at this site DIY Network it was quite helpful. My seats turned out better than the ones shown on the website.

This is a picture showing the new seats - not the best photo and you'll notice the headrest is still a bit loose - I hadn't finished those up properly yet. The door panel trim is also the Alfaholics one. Also excellent quality.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great looking car and great job with the seats!

I was gonna ask the same question as papjam, did the stainless trim come with the inside door panels?

Did you get the naugahyde or leather version? [EDIT: just read it again it was vinyl]

Nice, very nice indeed.

·
Registered
486 Posts
All the correct trim came pre-installed on the interior door panels (except the door grab handle, door opener handle and window crank).

The interior panels were very quick to do - literally unscrew all the old handles, unscrew the old panels, cut holes for the window crank and door release, put some plastic backing on to weatherproof, and screw the new ones on.

Again - the Alfaholics ones are highly recommended and are quite a bit cheaper than IAP and the other local sources.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've noticed the door panels do not come with the top trim piece.

Anyone know what that's called or where to get it?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
MP, do you need new trim pieces? Or would used ones do? I have 3 or 4 of them from mid to late 70's Spiders. I don't recall what color they are but I'm sure they could be dyed. I also don't know if there's a difference in them from a '74 model to a later model. If you're interested, I can dig them out and take some photos.

·
Registered
487 Posts
67GTV said:
MP, do you need new trim pieces? Or would used ones do? I have 3 or 4 of them from mid to late 70's Spiders. I don't recall what color they are but I'm sure they could be dyed. I also don't know if there's a difference in them from a '74 model to a later model. If you're interested, I can dig them out and take some photos.
Thanks. First I wanted to make sure that all the panels came WITHOUT those. Mine are beige, and leather. (I'm switching to Black vinyl) They are from a '78 spider. They are worn. The panels and top pieces will be the last thing I replace.

But I will keep this in mind.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts