Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please suggest a radio for my GTV. My thoughts are these (please let me know if I am on the right track):

Option 1 - Get an old 60's-70's Becker Europa/Mexico, or Blaupunkt and install some decent amplifiers to power up some decent stock looking speakers. That way it looks original.

Option 2 - Hidden installation in the glovebox of a contemporary head unit operated with a remote control. Everything still looks stock.

Anyone done either of these? Can you suggest of other alternatives?

I understand and appreciate that we all like to hear our engines & exhaust, but also it would be nice to hear some music while I am parked, no?;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am currently putting together a system for my Berlina. I am using a completely remote mounted unit with an RF remote and a six disc CD changer, all in the trunk. I've got Infinity Kaapa Perfect 5.1 component speakers in the doors with the tweeters in the kick panels. The rears are Infinity Kaapa 462.5's in the rear deck. I've got a BassLink powered subwoofer and a Rockford Fosgate amp four channel amp.

The speakers are hidden behind the door panels. I punched a hole pattern in the leather in front of the speakers for a nearly invisible installation. I even have a virgin dash!

It will probably be another month or so before I find out how well it all works, but I can let you know.

Check out Custom Auto Sounds website to see the hidden system as well as some old school stereo units.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I'd go with #1 and not spend a bunch on it either. I could barely hold a conversation with a buddy today while we drove down the freeway at 70 with the windows rolled down half way. Bertone GT's are pretty noisey, I think it makes more sense to send the money on a home system :)

Ciao,

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Holy crap Jeff! That Berlina's gonna rock! Now I know who can provide the musical entertainment at Fuddruckers.

I am down with the first option though. My GTV's am/fm radio is possibly the original, or at least it's pretty old. Only two of the preset buttons work properly. A while back I purchased an older Pioneer cassette deck off eBay. The problem is that it did not come with the harness. I need to track one down. I have old Pioneer 6x9's in the rear deck and 5-1/4's in the map pockets.

John's right about noisy GTV's. When I bought my tires the guy told me they'd grip real well (which they do) but people complain about the tire noise. I laughed and said, "no problem".

·
Registered
164 Posts
The upholstery shop promised the car would be ready for Fuddruckers, so this morning I stopped by to see the progress.

It is not going to be there. Headliner is done. The seats are done, but not in. The sound deadening material has not been replaced, the carpets obviously aren't in, the door panels are not even started, the rear deck is not made and both the front and rear glass are still out!

I will be lucky to have it in time for Concorso! I have been waiting for a year and a half to drive this car. I can hardly wait anymore.

See ya all at Fuddruckers!

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
I intend to go with option #1 when I redo the dash and veneer in my GTV. Still debating between a Becker Europa or vintage Blau.

Now, it has the original dealer installed Audiovox head unit and rear deck speakers, which, truth be told don't sound all that bad. I'm OK with AM/FM only as I can always use an iPod with FM transmitter for long trips.

Joe

·
Registered
439 Posts
Blaupunkt v. Becker

I intend to go with option #1 when I redo the dash and veneer in my GTV. Still debating between a Becker Europa or vintage Blau.

Now, it has the original dealer installed Audiovox head unit and rear deck speakers, which, truth be told don't sound all that bad. I'm OK with AM/FM only as I can always use an iPod with FM transmitter for long trips.

Joe
My 1974 Berlina had a Blaupunkt Frankfurt Stereo with speakers in the rear deck and front doors (what an idiot I was to ruin the door that way!). My 1975 Nuova Super has a Becker Europa II Stereo. A photo follows.

If I were to do it again, I would lean toward the Blaupunkt for the following reasons.

First, the Becker Europa II has a receiver in the dash, and a stereo amplifier (2.5 W per channel) connected by a cable into which the speakers and any fader need to be installed. The amp is buried in the console between the speakers. The Becker has left/right balance and tone control, but fade has to be separately installed. The Blaupunkt (and later model Europa IIs, I think) have the fader and balance in a single dash installed unit, about the same size as the Becker receiver only in my car. I also found the radio quality, in terms of performance, not appearance, to be better with the Blaupunkt. Crisper sound, and from memory, a whole 4 W of power per channel.

To install the radio, I chased down a wiring harness from a mid-70s Mercedes, which set me back some $65 to $75, and this wiring harness includes a front rear fader, and all of the connections to the Becker Europa. Makes for a very clean installation. The fader is hidden on my Nuova Super below the dash in the area of the trip odometer resetter.

For speakers and decent sound, I went with Infinity Kappa, 2-way, 4 inch woofer/small tweeter, plate speakers for the rear deck, and Infinity Kappa two-way coaxials in the factory mounts. I had to source period rear deck speaker grilles, as the smaller Infinitiy Kappa plate speakers don't include them. The front coax's came with a nice crossover. I also used Dynamat, approx 6-8 inch square noise dampening material and stuffed it behind the coax speakers in the console. Sound is pretty good, but it's not like a contemporary, factory radio system in a modern car... with 300 watts, 6 speakers located hither and yon, amplified subwoofers, etc.

The Becker with 2.5 W per channel is classic, and sounds classic, and has probably close to 5-10% total harmonic distortion (I don't know specs, just commenting on how it sounds on some radio stations). If you want good sound, I recommend you buy another car... a new car with a great stereo, DVD/MP3 player, tons of power, and a bunch of speakers.

If you want some sound in an Alfa, I like the sound of classic, period, push button, AM-FM radios. When my wife rides with me, she always comments on how great the experience is, and how wonderful the period radio sounds with the Alfa's mechanical noises and exhaust growl.

There's so much noise in classic Alfas, it's literally impossible to get good sound, without putting the chasis and interior through a major noise dampening effort... lots of Dynamat on the floors, trunk, doors, roof, and on and on.

But classic 70s and 80s sounds through 2.5 W per channel from a push-button AM-FM, over the sounds of chain driven DOHCs and a performance exhaust missing one of the resonators, and a swapped in flowmaster resonator for another, sound about as sweet as this Alfitsi could ever dream.

If you want a Becker or Blaupunkt, and you want if totally reconditioned and under warranty, try Ranier. Pricey, but good stuff.

http://www.koenigs-klassik.de/indexe.html

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
In my old 105 I went with a modern, but very classic looking Blau (from hazy memory, a Montreal?) because nothing period that worked was available.

Car was well on the way to a racer then, so sound quality OK while parked but pointless while moving.

Given my time again, I would go with what one poster said above - put in some basic thing and put the money into a home system.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Speakers are also an interesting subject. Who makes period-looking speakers or restores old ones?
This is taking me back to a misspent youth - Not on an Alfa, but a trick used on another retro car was getting some old grills from wreckers, refurbing them (bit of metal-look paint) and mounting new components behind (under accostic cloth) so it looked classic but sounded fab.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hello !

I have an Blaupunkt "Mannheim" in my car, probably installed when the car was new. Its a mono radio with a speaker mounted just under the vinyl surface of the top of the dashboard. There are no holes or cut out in the vinyl, so you cant see its there. Radio can only be used at low speed, the sound is drowned by noise above 80 km/h.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mubezzi has got it figured out....... I went to a Alfa Club outing on Sunday and had to take interstate part of the way and just grabed my MP3 with a set of Shure ear phones and it was great. When I got back to running the back roads I just pulled out the ear plugs. Saves a lot of weight too!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
How about no radio but use headphones instead....if you really need to have music.
I cant drive with headphones in! And I think its dangerous, since the advent of the ipod and its super-music portability I see so many people driving their cars and riding bicycles with their white headphones in. I cant understand how people can do it...

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree...and portable speakers tend to be too tinny....hence atleast a simple radio and some shelf speakers in the back...

I'm still curious if anyone fit a radio into their glove box or mounted/bolted one on the floor or trunk...

A.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you want a classic looking radio with new technology the Becker Mexico 7948 probably is a good alternative. The only problem is the price.

Wow that is cool. I've wondered for a long time why somebody wasn't doing that. You're right $2k seems a bit steep, does anybody in the US sell them? Steve

1 - 20 of 40 Posts