Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
105 or 116

After being away from Alfa's for a long time, I looking to buy a coupe, specifically a late GTV or a GTV6. In the past, I have owned a 77 Spider and a 84 GTV6, so I have some experience with both chassis. Given that this is a 105 board, I was wondering why people picked the older cars versus the newer transaxled vehicles.

·
Registered
615 Posts
One reason.

Pure and simple, I love the Giugiaro designed body. Bella, bella, bella!

Garrett
1969 1750 GTV (bella troia)

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Re: One reason.

Both Alfetta GTV and 105/115 GTV are designed by Giugiaro, but IMHO, GTV is a more elegant, simpler design that appeal to me more.

But the reason for me to own an older GTV is because California smog cars newer than 1974, a real hassle for newer GTVs.

I would love to own both though. A.L.F.A :D

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
I own and drive both. The transaxle cars (116/119) are great, but the 105 and 115 cars are MUCH easier to work on...especially if they have Webers!

Additionally, it isn't just about Alfas...it's also about the style and grace of the designs of the 105/115 Spider and the Bertone (Giugiaro designed) Coupe...they look great from any angle, they feel great and they are lighter and more 'tossable'.

On the other hand, the V6 transaxle cars have power! They have A/C! They have great balance!

Hmmm...I guess that's why I like them too! And now, I'm starting to feel like maybe I need a GTV6 and a 164 to round out my stable. But then again, I AM an alfaholic!

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
And the 116/119s have shifters that, to me, feel like a broomstick in a bathtub.

I'll take a 105 anyday; for the beauty and simple elegance of it all.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Having owned both I am have to say...105/115 vs 116/119 is this...105/115 are much easier to maintain and cheaper.

They are straight forward and simple.

Not to say that 116/119 aren't completely awesome but for me, at this point it's all about 105/115.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Why a Bertone coupe?...

They look superb - everyone always says - what a pretty car.
They are fun to drive.
They are easy to work on.

They have history.

It was never a consideration for me to have a transaxle car. The only other car I considered was a Lancia Fulvia Coupe, but they are front wheel drive and I get enough of that in the shopping car.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Welcome to AlfaBB.com Zinhead!

I have to agree with 'all of the above' reasons. I love my GTV!

Btw, this is not just a 105 board. We're just a proud and enthusiastic bunch of owners.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I think the reason for the strong following for the older cars is possibly three fold....or least it is for me.

1. You can more easily justify putting some dough into a 74 GTV vs the 80s GTV6. Older GTVs are worth a lot more unless you find a Calloway. You will never be in the green, but maybe easier to justify to the boss.

2. There is no computer to go out and leave you scratching your head as to why no spark....oh hum...no fuel too.....dam computers.....And lets not forget the emmissions.

3. Older GTVs got that classic chrome appeal.

But a simple solution to choosing is to buy one of each like a real addict. Welcome back to the 12 step program!

I am an Alfaholic, and my name is John.

Best Regards,
John M

1 - 11 of 11 Posts