Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I knew ID and OD (outer), never ED.. everyday’s a school day :)

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The design of headers like Spruell's along with the similar Darstan headers sold by both Vintage Customs Alfa and Wes Ingram show a curved #3 primary in very close proximity to both the steering box and brake master cylinder. If you are running these headers it is a very good idea to fabricate a heat shield between the primaries and the other components. Looking at the original Alfa TI Super/GTA headers along with modern interpretations is a good indication that there is some disagreement over whether there is any advantage to be gained by designing such all-equal-length primaries.

As Ed's photo shows, there are lots of very stout engines running headers with designs similar to the original TI Super/GTA's. With this in mind I chose the full Alfaholics system for my hot-rod 2 liter build. In all my years of Alfa driving I've never had headers that didn't require at least a small amount mechanical persuasion in order to fit properly. Not so with the AH full stainless system. I was mentally preparing for a session of skinned knuckles and the obligatory blood sacrifice but to my great surprise the AH headers slipped right on with no trouble at all. Initially, the sound of the AH exhaust system was a little louder than a stock exhaust. It was a good sound although lacking in some of the drama that we closet "boy-racers" might like. Over time, however, the AH exhaust has opened up and now has a real Jekyll and Hyde character---relatively quiet around town but definitely prominent as the revs go up.
Spruell and Darstan are not similar, Darstan has smaller ID (same ED) . , thicker wall tubing used . Is definitley also more weight than Spruells header.

·
Registered
288 Posts
i do have an offering for suspended pedal cars. can check it out at performatek.com - in the exhaust section, oddly enough. the design is 4>1, equal length stepped tube header. correct head/exit geometry (tubes in line with direction of ports). merge collector. custom built to order, available in a couple of diameter tubes and a lengths from 30">35" - although i do have my favorites, i.e. works best for most alfas. fits both ZF & Burman steering box. in fact, having a run made now.
andy
p.s. installed pic is on 85 Ljet spider... how i found out that zF steering boxes are different than burman!
p.p.s. also agree, headers contribute very little to sound.

Attachments

·
Registered
963 Posts
I haven't noticed any change in braking. The clearance is OK there but they do throw more heat. The airbox is the bigger issue. The simple solution is to fit a euro airbox or trumpets but I've tried to keep the engine bay stock and like how the 68 is unique. I did cover the underside of the box with heat reflective tape and plan to do some measurement with a remote thermometer this coming season. I've heard wrapping headers can shorten their life. Perhaps I'll fab a clip-on heat shield

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
i do have an offering for suspended pedal cars. can check it out at performatek.com - in the exhaust section, oddly enough. the design is 4>1, ]equal length stepped tube header. correct head/exit geometry (tubes in line with direction of ports). merge collector. custom built to order, available in a couple of diameter tubes and a lengths from 30">35" - although i do have my favorites, i.e. works best for most alfas. fits both ZF & Burman steering box. in fact, having a run made now.
[/U][/QUOTE]

Cool looking headers, Andy.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I was also wondering if maybe I should replace my engine fan with an electric one. Perhaps I would hear the engine clearer if the fans weren’t screaming in second gear?

Although I’ve heard VERY mixed feelings about that

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
these headers are fitted to my squadra bianca racecar 30+ years, they are 4 to 1, and it states "BSM" on them, anybody knows them?
they were special made for the Squadra Bianca series in Holland.They had a strict ruling on engine , suspension and brakes to keep the cars as equal as possible. Strong series for many years. Which Squadra do you have, any history known on the car?

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
AFAIR, ED is heavily advertised on late night TV. Some sort of magical pill for bedroom work. Do Alfas do OK in the bedroom?

>:)

Robert

·
Registered
952 Posts
they were special made for the Squadra Bianca series in Holland.They had a strict ruling on engine , suspension and brakes to keep the cars as equal as possible. Strong series for many years. Which Squadra do you have, any history known on the car?
ex Patrick Huisman SB, you know it for sure, car was stored away for 25+ years

·
Premium Member
14,317 Posts
tremere613: It appears that your main interest is in sound. If that is the case then keep it simple and buy a Stinger tail pipe from Centerline. It is not expensive and it is easy to install and if you don't like the sound then you can easily sell it and try something else.

Reactions: PocketAce

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
tremere613: It appears that your main interest is in sound. If that is the case then keep it simple and buy a Stinger tail pipe from Centerline. It is not expensive and it is easy to install and if you don't like the sound then you can easily sell it and try something else.

Very good advice, Ed. But if he does that then we won't have this interesting rabbit-hole to run down.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

As stated previously I already have a stinger pipe

41 - 60 of 126 Posts